Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 
reeree528

Talking upgrade new tankk :D finally ! :]

i just went from a 1 gallon bowl..to a 3 gallon filtered tank... his water is soo foggy in his old bowl..(stupid live plant..i think im going to get rid of it..however he likes it soo much :[ ...)..i want to switch him right now!!, but i am afraid that it will freak him out too much...this new tank is a bubbler lol and im scared it will be too much stress/nerve-racking on him...(not to mention he might be reallly upset about his bubble nest that he has been working on for a couple days lolo..the new tank has only been up and running for about 5 hours. idk . ahhhh

any helpful tips / ideas?

loving my new betta though, he always comes right to the front of the bowl
to see me when i arrive home..and we play ...he follows my finger haha its really cute.

hopelessly addicted to this cute little fish :D

hope to have pictures up soon, if i can ever figure out how to do it lol
reeree528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #2 
djembekah

are you probably going to do 1 50% and 1 100% a week? you could start acclimating if you wanted :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #3 
reeree528

i was told that if i had a filter..i would only have to do a 100% change like once a week?

acclimating ? him?...what? ..haha im so confused
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 
Zero186

Acclimating reduces the stress on the fish. This can be done with the small cup bettas come in. fill it up with the betta and current tank water and float it in the new tank so the temp will slowly match.

With it not being a cycled tank a 50% and 100% water change is recommended. Just don't wash the filter media.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 
Aus

You can baffle the filter with a sponge - slow the flow down - and there's a sticky thread here on how to do that. Sometimes filters have adjustable settings, so check for one. A lot of bettas stress out at high flow filters and it can blow them all around the tank, so it's good to keep the flow to a minimum.

Acclimating your betta = slowly getting him used to the new water by putting him a floating cup in the new tank and adding a little new water to it every 10 mins or so, do this for maybe an hour (mine time shorter now, but it's not a new tank and the chemistry is kept pretty stable). This will avoid your fish going into shock and possibly dying.

Your fish's plant will probably do much better in a tank with a filter if it gets a bit of sunlight or a LED lamp that works for plants. If it's a low-light species, it might be okay with regular daylight in the room.

If you move the plant over, wash it under the tap gently, and remove any dead/soggy leaves. That will stop it going nasty in his new tank.

I bet your fish will just LOVE having more room. He might act funny for a few days or even a couple of weeks - bettas hate change, and it takes time to adjust.

Has he got a heater?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
reeree528

thank you all so much, i had to get rid of the live plant..the whole thing...when i took it out of the gallon bowl..it was nothin but a big mush of algae looking stringy stuff...bluck....but i acclimated him and finally let him loose in the new tank...and he seems to enjoy it...swimming all over!! :D checkin stuff out, no i dont have a heater yet..i couldnt seem to find one small enough. ?.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 
reeree528

hmmmm. just went to do my nightly feeding routine. he does not seem to like fighting with the bubbles to get to his food. now what?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #8 
djembekah

tetra sells a 2-15 gallon heater, if you have like, a walmart nearby!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #9 
reeree528

i do have a couple Walmarts nearby but all of them say the heaters that they have only do 5 - 15 gallon tanks. ??
Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #10 
reeree528

totally just kidding..i found one lol thank you !!! :D ...but now what about the bubbler and his food ??