Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 
KappaTheImp

Help Nursing a Walmart Betta

Hi all. I recently made an unwise fish purchase from the dreaded walmart. He died three days later. They replaced the fish of course, and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to help any of these that were probably destined for the toilet. The problem is, I'm not very experienced with sick fish! My first betta is healthy and happy as a clam.

I'm treating my sick baby for ich, as he DOES appear to have some white spots around his head and gills, and I wanted to get him medicated ASAP before he went the way of his predecessor. Right now he's in a little half gallon container that I intend to use as a sort of hospital tank with frequent water changes and the whole 9. I have a gallon aquarium I'm planning on moving him to once I'm sure he's healthy.

As I said, I believe he's suffering some ich, but I think that he's experienced a heck of a loss of color too. I'm almost sure that he's the same fish I was looking at three days prior, but he's almost white instead of blue now. I've uploaded some photos, so please have a look and give me any advice you can.

http://imgur.com/N0Al8

http://imgur.com/5mYjM
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 
KappaTheImp

Uh, erm. And since I don't know how to edit my first post... I realized I should give some info on his behavior as well as his appearance. He looks like he's trying to scratch himself on the gravel and the fake plant in the tank. He's also not keeping his food down very well. Right now I've got him on a high protein flake food with something called blood shrimp thrown in. He seems to be able to hold down the blood shrimp, but spits the flakes back out. He still seems to be fairly active, but if he's not able to eat, I wonder how long he'll last.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
wystearya

I'm sure someone here will more experience will post soon, but I do want to say that flakes are generally not the best food for Bettas. Try getting some pellets made for Betta fish. There are several different brands and they should not be too hard to find.

Not sure what blood shrimp are, though I know there are blood worms. If you have the freeze dried kind, be careful with them. I don't think it is good to feed them too much of the freeze dried foods. Frozen is better! >> Meaning the worms are sold frozen. You thaw them out and feed them that way. They are not dried.

----

It sounds like he may have ick, but again I am going to let the more experienced people help you with that. I'd hate to tell you wrong!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #4 
xSTOTTSx

I was told API Bettafix works well! You could make a gallon of water with this Bettafix and use that to do the water changes? I also read that bettas can survive weeks without food, so I don't know if it's an issue until he is healthy again.. But I'd still feed him and clean what he won't eat. Also, I think you may have my bettas twin! :)
xSTOTTSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 
KappaTheImp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I'm sure someone here will more experience will post soon, but I do want to say that flakes are generally not the best food for Bettas. Try getting some pellets made for Betta fish. There are several different brands and they should not be too hard to find.
I realized shortly after buying my first betta and googling a little more info that flakes weren't the BEST thing. He seems to be fine on them, aside from acting like he's starving all the time. I made the mistake of continuing to feed him until he stopped acting hungry and he just got fat/bloaty and swam funny for a while. Now that, that embarrassing and potentially deadly situation is over he seems just fine on it, so I was going to finish out this giant tub of it, unless you think I should just toss it and get the pellets.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 
frazier71

Betta fix is for bacterial infections torn fins or fin rot. not ich. Try tetra tablets I had great results with it in a day compared to API super ich cure. Also raise tank temps and salt will help. Google the temp and amount of salt. I had two bettas that had ich at some point. Be careful very contagious. Sanitize and dry anything that was in tank with him. Let it dry out outside
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #7 
Karebear13

I think the best thing to do is treat him with Aq salt before you use any meds. I have been advised in the past to prepare a jug of water premixed with conditioner and dissolved aquarium salt. 1tsp per gallon. If you have the cup you bought him in this will make the procedure a lot easier... You can place him in there and float him in the tank in his cup... Slowly acclimate him to the salt water by adding 25% through 15 minute intervals for an hour... Then perform 50% water changes everyday for 3 days on the fourth do a 100% using the premixed jug. Do this no more than 10 days.

If I missed something on here someone jump in!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 
KappaTheImp

D'oh. Sorry, I meant to be clearer. I'm already treating with API Super Ick Cure. I can also treat with aquarium salt at the same time yes? Or will that be putting too much strain on him?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 
Tobythefish

I can't help with the salt question, but I used the API Super Ick Cure and it worked great.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 
Karebear13

No that would be bad I don't think you can mix aq salt and medication together.

Since you already started the treatment I would just finish that treatment. If he has ick the white spots should disappear in a few days How long does it say to continue the medication?

Also I would vacuum the bottom of the tank everyday to get rid of any eggs if there are any
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote