Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #11 
Myates

No on bettafix, for any reason.. just not worth the risk.

Is he darting around any? Does he look like he is trying to scratch himself on the gravel, plant, side of tank? That is what you are wanting to look for when it comes to ich. If he is not darting, then I wouldn't say he has ich for sure..

As far as his coloring goes- he looks good in the pictures, but keep in mind that bettas will generally change color once you bring them home and place them in clean water with water conditioner.

As for food- they can take a week or longer before they start eating healthily, but you have to give him the proper food to get him used to it now. As long as the main ingredient in the flake food is fish/meat then you can continue trying those (remove any uneaten shortly after feeding to avoid fouling up the water), pellet food is more ideal as you can be direct in how much you feed him, and they generally are better then flakes overall.

IF you see him darting and the white spots continue to develop, the proper way to treat ich is a couple ways-

Conservatively you will want to raise temperature to 85 F and add 1 tsp per gal of Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.
The temp is important to help speed up the process.

If you want to go the medication route- which is a gamble on whether or not it works, then Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus are what is commonly recommended.

Do not mix the salt with the medication- one or the other when it comes to these meds.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #12 
frazier71

There's nothing wrong with betta fix. I even called API and they gave me every last detail. So many people used it with amazing results. Just because someones betta died when they were using it doesn't mean it was the meds fault. They either over dosed or were using it for the wrong reason. Ie if they tried it for ich. It obv wouldn't work and the fish would die because it is not meant for that.
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #13 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

use the AQ salt and/or continue with you ich meds, And rais the tank temp you normaly get ich in colder water. i know it sounds odd but when my fish get ich i rais the temp and if it doesnt show signs of going away i use meds
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #14 
KappaTheImp

Just an update, little guy seems to be doing a bit better. He isn't darting around as much, and his color seems to be getting a little darker. He's still having a little trouble keeping his flakes down (or maybe he's just a picky eater?) but he seems to be able to handle the bigger chunks. Not sure if they're brine shrimp or blood worms, but whatever they are, he'll eat them without spitting them back up. I'll be changing his water and adding more ich medication in the morning. Hopefully he'll keep getting better. :)
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #15 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
There's nothing wrong with betta fix. I even called API and they gave me every last detail. So many people used it with amazing results. Just because someones betta died when they were using it doesn't mean it was the meds fault. They either over dosed or were using it for the wrong reason. Ie if they tried it for ich. It obv wouldn't work and the fish would die because it is not meant for that.
The company will tell you what you want to hear- yes, the medication is safe for most fish, but bettas are not included. It was made to sucker people in to get more money for the company, but at the risk of the health of the fish.

Many people have reported firsthand the sudden deaths of their bettas after using this product.
Labyrinth fish, like bettas and gouramis, can be seriously injured or even killed by the use of BettaFix or MelaFix, the stronger formula. While other fish can tolerate melaleuca extract (the active ingredient in Betta/MelaFix) quite well, the labyrinth organ present in bettas is highly sensitive to it. The melaleuca can burn the labyrinth organ and at high enough concentrations or with enough exposure, can damage the labyrinth organ to the point that the fish cannot breathe with it. These fish cannot breathe using their gills alone and will suffocate as a result of this.

Also, note that melaleuca is a harsh antiseptic and an irritant, speeding the healing of torn fins and tissue by irritating the injury site to speed up healing. This would be similar to putting alcohol on a wound.
Unfortunately, it is an irritant that seems to have an adverse effect on certain fish. Most fish can handle melaleuca just fine, this includes most "scaleless" fishes as well. So far, the fish that seem to have problems with melaleuca are anabantoids and pencilfish. Since it is an irritant, it is not unlike using alcohol or peroxide on a cut or a scrape. The melaleuca irritates the cells to speed the healing process. With most fish this would be fine and it wouldn't harm the fish in any way, but labyrinth breathers are different. Their labyrinth organs are sensitive to the melaleuca and with a full dose of Melafix, you can kill a betta or a gourami within a few days. The labyrinth organ is the most important organ in a betta's body, that is it's lung. Like humans, if an irritative chemical gets into our lungs, we will have adverse problems from it, possibly even death, the same goes for bettas with a dose of straight Melafix.

Yes, the ingredients are watered down in Bettafix- but since it requires you to put in a whole dose every day for 7 days before a water change, you are actually putting in quite a bit of it in there.. and it has been known to kill MANY bettas within days of use.. not just one or two.

Last edited by Myates; 03-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #16 
frazier71

Well plenty people had great results with it.
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTheImp View Post
Just an update, little guy seems to be doing a bit better. He isn't darting around as much, and his color seems to be getting a little darker. He's still having a little trouble keeping his flakes down (or maybe he's just a picky eater?) but he seems to be able to handle the bigger chunks. Not sure if they're brine shrimp or blood worms, but whatever they are, he'll eat them without spitting them back up. I'll be changing his water and adding more ich medication in the morning. Hopefully he'll keep getting better. :)

I hope he wil recover. He is beautiful betta and it so nice of you to rescue him from Walmart:) Give us update.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #18 
Tikibirds

plenty of people have had good results with bettafix but there are also plenty of people who's fish have died from using bettafix/melefix. The main ingredient is a tree oil which can damaged their breathing organ resulting in the death of the betta. If you insist on using it, I would use a little less then the recommended dosage. I used it with fish that had columnaris, but I didnt have access to anything else. I felt that it was worth a try as the betta was going to die if I didn't at least try it. As myates said, its for stuff like fin rot and will not help with ich.

I had one walmart fish that had a mild case of ick. I used quick cure and it worked almost overnight. However the main ingredient is Malachite Green which is pretty potent stuff. Use with caution and do NOT OD on it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #19 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
You realize that of course the company will say "sure, it's fine!" because they want you to buy their product? What company would tell you that a medication might well kill your pet instead of telling you to go for it? Not very many. (I'm looking at you, Hartz.)
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #20 
KappaTheImp

Another update, he seems to be doing much better. He's nice and active, and is keeping his food down a little better. I think he might just be a finicky eater. His color is also still improving, but can't seem to decide if it should be reddish or bluish. I'll post a new picture in the morning.
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote