Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
sparkyjoe

No bubble nests from either of my boys?

I have two boys, Arthur and Aithusa, who are in 5.5 gallon (cycled) and 3.5 gallon tanks, respectively. I've had Arthur for just over a month and I got Aithusa a week later.

Both tanks are heated, have live plants and caves, and are filtered. The filter in Aithusa's smaller tank is baffled and has minimal current. I'm still trying to figure out how to baffle the filter in Arthur's tank but he has an area of minimal current at the far end of the tank where some Anacharis reaches the top of the water.

I also use plain, organic Rooibos tea to add tannins and darken the water so they feel safer.

Both tanks get regular water changes and both fish seem active, love to explore their homes, and little Aithusa immediately comes to me if I put my fingers on the tank. Arthur is a little more cautious, but doesn't run away.

Both boys eat 2 pellets, 2x/day and are always happy when I show them the container with their food (HBH Betta Bites) and the occasional (maybe once a week?) freeze dried mysis shrimp, bloodworm or daphnia.

I've tried to do everything for them, and I'm hopefully just being a nervous Nelly, but neither boy has even tried to build a bubble nest, at least not that I've seen. Should I be concerned? Everyone always seems to tout a bubble nest as a sign of health and happiness.

I'm currently cycling another 5 gallon in preparation for a new boy, but if I'm doing something wrong I want to find out now before their health suffers.

Thanks!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #2 
bettalover2000

Mine has a current so he doesn't make nests.. I don't think he likes the tank. Is the tea green tea?
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

No, it's Rooibos tea.

I could/can understand them not nesting in a tank with current, but little Aithusa's tank have almost no current now (the Java fern doesn't even wate and it sits right under the filter outflow.

I'm hopeful that they are happy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I've only ever seen Aithusa flair once when I startled him when he was sleeping, and I've never seen Arthur flare. However both boys hold their fins erect and act like they're the kings of their little lands.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 
sparkyjoe

Oops! I lied!

Well Aithusa has proved me wrong. I couldn't find him in his tank, but then noticed movement on the other side of the Rooibos tea bag. Guess who was building his first bubble nest!

The little stinker, when he saw me move he had to come over and show off, but now he's back to it.

Guess I was just being a new Betta momma.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #5 
Ramble

Aw... My new boy hasn't built a bubble nest yet, but my girl built her first one this morning after three weeks. I guess she likes her new tank!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #6 
Karebear13

Benz hasn't built a bubble nest either! Im hoping he will once I add his plants and some IAL
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #7 
ravenwinds

Girls build bubble nests?? I thought that was the males job...
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #8 
Ramble

Mine is a pretty industrious little girl...maybe she's just trying to show up Leonidas.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

There is two opinions on bubble nest building. 1.they do it for happyness and health and 2. they will do it no matter their health or water conditions ect.. I really don't know what to believe. I pretty much just believe it's an ability triggered by either competing for a female with another male or seeing a female. I have no idea though. I think it's just what you yourself thinks. And yes, females sure do it too. Here's some links if you want to check them out.

http://www.helium.com/items/1117622-...s-make-bubbles

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3215209AAXwe1Z

here's one about female bubble nests.
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=889
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I don't think it's a sign of health and happiness. Apollo did it even when he had severe fin rot, and you see bettas in the cruddiest conditions in shops doing it too. On the flip side, many healthy "happy" males don't do it at all.

I think it's just them saying, "Look at mah pad, ladies. Bring me your eggs, that I might fertilise them!"
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote