Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 
wah543

Question on Water Changing/Cleaning

I recently got a Betta tank with a divider for two Bettas and my question is how do you change the water or clean the water? I'm entirely sure how to do this but I did get a vacuum to clean the poop off the gravel. My question is how would you go about changing the water? Would you take the fish out of the water, then empty the tank, refill it, add the conditioner again, and then put them back in the water?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

How large is the tank? If it is a cycled tank (5 gallons plus with a filter), partial water changes will suffice, but if it is uncycled, smaller than 5 gallons and unfiltered, you'll need t0 do 100% changes.

For a partial water change, you use the vacuum to siphon out the water as well as the dirt, then replace it with conditioned water of the same temperature.
For a 100% change, you remove the fish and put them in their bags or cups, then empty and rinse the whole tank. You then fill the tank up again, replace all the decorations, turn the heater back on and allow the water to get to the proper temperature. You then float the bettas to re-acclimatise them to the new water. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 
wah543

It's a smaller tank with no filter though. This is what I did let me know if I'm doing it right. I poured some water from the tank into the containers they came in then carefully poured them into a net and quickly put them into the container. I then emptied the tank rinsed out the gravel filled it back up with water. I put some conditioner back in then poured the fish back in. Is that ok?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

The water change part is fine, but you really need to float the bettas in their containers in the larger tank for a while, adding new tank water to their containers every five minutes, to acclimatise them to the new temperature and chemistry.

It would also be a good idea to find out exactly how much water (to the nearest half gallon) your tank holds.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
Laki

You'll want to slowly acclimate the fish back to the fresh water by either putting them in bags or cups of the old water. Float the cup in the new water and every 5 minutes or so add a bit of new water. After about 15 minutes you can scoop them out and add them to the new water altogether.
As way of assurance, what is a "smaller" tank? How big is it? I wouldn't put 2 betta fish in anything smaller than 2 gallons because of the high rate of spreading disease to each other. You'd have to clean it twice as much.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #6 
wah543

It's a small 1/2 gallon I think its hard to get them into the container because it doesn't fit into the tank with the divider in and I'm not sure what you mean by float them into the tank
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #7 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
You'll want to slowly acclimate the fish back to the fresh water by either putting them in bags or cups of the old water. Float the cup in the new water and every 5 minutes or so add a bit of new water. After about 15 minutes you can scoop them out and add them to the new water altogether.
As way of assurance, what is a "smaller" tank? How big is it? I wouldn't put 2 betta fish in anything smaller than 2 gallons because of the high rate of spreading disease to each other. You'd have to clean it twice as much.
wait really? I got this tank from petco http://www.petco.com/product/113406/...%20Blue-113406 the woman there said her daughters have had betta fish for a while in that tank
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #8 
Laki

o.o a 1/2 gallon tank gives them each 1/4 gallon each. I'm sorry but I think that's way too small. They'll survive as long as the water is kept clean but you should really try your best to get a larger tank. It's not your fault if you were mislead by pet store employees or commercial advertisements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3UglEcnbJk
I just found this video on how to acclimate your fish. You will do this every time you clean the water

edit: Pet store employees will say anything to make a sale. Either they don't know the difference or they don't care. The way you have it now your 2 fish have as much space as the 2 in my avatar pic there on the side <<<<< under my name. Those are their CHANGING CUPS!! They both have 2.5-3 gallons EACH!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 
dbockrath

Yeah.....um....sometimes marketing doesn't match reality. That container's really too small for one betta, let alone two.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 
wah543

Oh thanks for the video and I'll try saving up for another tank for them soon then, but for now it's all I got. I thought they were doing well the male was making bubbles and I heard that was a good thing