Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 
KylaFaye

Think It's Velvet, I don't think he'll make it

I think my Betta may be getting velvet, he has some gold around one of his gills and he is just hanging at the top of the tank. He seems to not really be breathing much (hardly any gill movement). His body also seems to be a little crooked. How can I help him? Can he even get better? I feel terrible I got him to give him a better life, not make it worse for him then petco was. replies and advice would be greatly appreciated... I am so sad for Cinna.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1/2 water every other day, full change once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner to make tap water safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, some gold by a gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? just stays at top of tank not moving, not really breathing.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he was a little bloated 5 days ago in a 1 gallon unheated tank, i fasted him for 2 days and moved him to a heated 2 gallon tank and then just seemed to get worse from there.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? i don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably under a year, got him at petco almost two weeks ago.

Last edited by KylaFaye; 03-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.
KylaFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmmm. Do you have photos?
I'd get some AQ salt and start at 1 tsp/gallon.
If it progresses a lot, I'd get an ich cure, they help with velvet too.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 
Myates

Bettas tend not to use their gills hardly, so not seeing much movement isn't always a concern..

As for the gold- what you are looking for is a gold "dusting" over the body, as if you sprinkled gold dust over him. Gold coloration by the gills can just be his natural colors- as you can get anywhere from gold, to green, etc there.

A picture using flash will help verify whether or not he has velvet.

Clamped fins and loss of color as a whole is another sign you will be looking for with velvet, as well as darting against the gravel/plants/decorations/side of tank.. it's similar to ich in that fashion, very itchy to them.

He may be adjusting to the larger tank- even a gallon larger can seem like a lot to a betta who is used to smaller tanks. Keep in mind they are young when placed into jars at the breeders, and then into the cups.. so some take moves into larger tanks a bit slower to adjust to then others.

The Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are actually quite small (I feed some of mine Omega), I would actually recommend at least 4 pellets per meal, twice a day.. my larger bettas will eat about 8 per meal.

For a 2 gallon, unfiltered tank it is ideal to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week- more then that you are causing unneeded stress, along with having too sterile of an environment.. either not ideal for the fish.

So moving to a larger tank, having excessive water changes may be the cause to him stressing and not swimming about happily.. also if there aren't enough hiding places, such as plants (real or fake) can be a little stressful on some bettas when they move into larger tanks- they may feel a bit exposed and stress from that.

Velvet:
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #4 
KylaFaye

Thank you so much for your advice everyone i really appreciate it and so does Cinna. He is actually doing much better today and swimming around a bit, sometimes he even swims to me when i put my face up to the tank like he used to do. He also ate like a pig this morning so hopefully he is going to be alright. Thanx again everyone!
KylaFaye is offline   Reply With Quote