Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 
PandaBetta

Smile 10g AQUARIUM FISH SELECTION!!

Hey guys need help in picking what other tank mates I want in my tank with my betta fish. At the moment my options are. please pick from below and how many: (reason why would be nice)

-neon
-cories
-some type of shrimp
PandaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
Mo

I would aim for something along the lines of
-6 boraras brigittae, or ember tetras
-6 Corydoras pygmaeus
-5 cherry shrimp
As there are a few problems with the list you've provided

I think that while a 10 gallon filtered, planted, and has a regular schedule of water changes can hold the bio load of these fish, it's not ideal to have them in long term as you won't see there full potential,in a larger tank of around 15 gallons, minimum of 20 inches they will be very active and all over the tank while they are in a 10 gallon they won't be as active, and won't color up as much

It would also be benificial to spefify on which type of Corydoras you are speaking of, there is a wide range if cories, some great for a tank of your sizes, others not. Also you would need sand to keep them as gravel can irritate there bellies, leading to fungal infections, and ware away there barbles. Leaving them very unhappy

It would also be benificial to specify on what one of shrimp as some can be harmful towards the cories and the other fish, they can be eaten by the other fish, and can be too big for a tank of that size

Last edited by Mo; 03-21-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

I am a little biased because I absolutely love neon tetras, I have 5 of them and 3 ghost shrimp with my betta. In a 10 gallon with lots of plants.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4 
PandaBetta

Here is my tank set ip minus the fish

Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
PandaBetta

The corus I wanted were the albino looking ones
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 
PandaBetta

But I would like to hear peoples fish combinations for a 10g so I can pick what I like the most without overstocking
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
fishy friend2

Get too big IMO, I would just go with the one that was recommended by moderator
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #8 
PandaBetta

I like what moderator suggested so far. Would like to hear so more options
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I agree with moderator, though I should warn you that borasus brigittae are pretty darn delicate. However, if your water is right for them, you could also consider borasus maculata. If it isn't, have a look at Endler's Livebearers. These guys are easily my favourite kind of livebearers and the pure strains have the most incredible colours. Mine are a fantastic mix of orange, blue, green, yellow and red, all over their tiny bodies. I would go with 4 males. :)

If you wanted other cory options, I would suggest corydoras habrosus or hastatus, depending on what your water is like, or corydoras panda (a bit bigger and more delicate, but extremely cute).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #10 
PandaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I agree with moderator, though I should warn you that borasus brigittae are pretty darn delicate. However, if your water is right for them, you could also consider borasus maculata. If it isn't, have a look at Endler's Livebearers. These guys are easily my favourite kind of livebearers and the pure strains have the most incredible colours. Mine are a fantastic mix of orange, blue, green, yellow and red, all over their tiny bodies. I would go with 4 males. :)

If you wanted other cory options, I would suggest corydoras habrosus or hastatus, depending on what your water is like, or corydoras panda (a bit bigger and more delicate, but extremely cute).
Thank you for the help the panda cory is so cute I think Im getting a good idea of what I want