Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
lvandert

Fish School :D

ok so while browsing the web in boredem I came across this
http://www.fish-school.com/index.html
This guy has taught his goldie 9 tricks. It says on there that "bettas do well in fish school..." This is nuts. I mean I've taught my fish how to jump and hit my finger but that looks like child's play compared to this!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
NinjaBetta 18

Wow, that's amazing. I wish I could teach my
fish tricks, but they are so shy! (When I stick
my finger in their bowls, they hide.)
NinjaBetta 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I've seen that before. It relies on simple positive reinforcement. Goldfish and fish in general are a lot smarter than people give them credit. The 3-second memory for goldfish is completely false. Goldfish can remeber things for around 3 months and easily recognize the person that feeds them. There is anecdotal evidence that they even recognize the voice of their primary feeder. Koi also display this behaviour to the point of being shy if a new person comes around the pond.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...-year-old-koi/
The world's oldest koi is 226ish years old. Goldfish live A LONG time in general. I think any animal that lives that long must have developed more than a 3 second memory :)

Actually, if you youtube "betta fish school" or something like that, I have seen a few betta fish trained to do those 9 tricks too :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

Fish are actually really smart. Some people think their intelligence is similar to a cat or dog despite being so small (well not for koi lol). Baby bettas are quick to learn who feeds them, male bettas can become depressed once removed from fry, fry can become depressed when first jarred, some are shy, some are hyper. Each fish is different and each has the potential to be rather smart.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #6 
lvandert

I just thought this was a neat thing and had to share to fellow fish people. I want to teach my betta to fetch :P
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 
xXGalaxyXx

Aha, this is awesome. My puffers know a couple (the bigger one pushes a ball into a loop and the smaller weaves through chopsticks), but they're way to stubborn to learn any more than that. Maybe I should try with my betta's - that would be adorable seeing Galaxy or Winter pushing a little ball around like that! cx
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 
gabrielle09

Fish are extremely smart. I just had an incident with two of my bettas and my boyfriend doesn't even believe it happened. So my bettas contracted velvet. I think they had it when I bought them because they were sluggish when I got them home. Anyway I didn't realize what it was until right before my first fish died. I've never had any of my bettas catch that disease before. Anyway I had one male and one female and they had a bit of an odd relationship. They loved each other. I had them in a divided tank together until I realized my male was sick and then I quarantined him. And my little girl got so depressed. She is still a baby and hates to be alone but if I put her by another fish besides that male she liked she gets scared and hides.

So right before my male died I figured I would put him in the tank with the female because she was sick anyway and I thought it might relax them. As soon as I added the male my female kissed him on the lips and then wrapped her body around him to get him balanced and in an upright position and then layed with him at the bottom of the tank until he died. If that doesn't prove fish are smart I don't know what does.

I can't wait to try some of those tricks they are showing on that website. I would love to teach my betta how to play soccer. That is so neat.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 
Flexxoo

personally i wouldnt want my fish to do any tricks lol i like the tranquility of them exploring their huge environment because i change up their aquariums every week with different items. i dont need a circus fish XD
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote