Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 
Brendans

PLEASE HELP! Not sure if my betta has fin rot!

I got Brendan three days ago, didn't notice a small hole on his fin when i bought him, but saw it when i took him home and placed him in bowl while i prepared the tank. Didn't really worry about it until this morning when i swear the hole is bigger. Came home and the hole was longer/bigger, super worried!
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 72-80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta buffet brand pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, four pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I haven't yet, but am planning to do a 25% change this sunday, which marks one week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? will do 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I'd just be adding a few drops of Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.6
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.0-7.4
Hardness: did not test
Alkalinity: did not test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Stated in the intro
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't , he swims all over the place, extremely shy when i first got him, now he'll stare a bit if i hover my hand near the glass, but darts away when i move
When did you start noticing the symptoms? n/a
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? havent
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no?
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know but i've only had him for three days
These pics were taken with my phone, and he wouldnt stop moving. My camera won't take proper pictures with glass so I'm afraid these are the best I can do
First image: First day, in the bowl waiting for his tank to be set up, hole circled
Second image: This morning, hole circled
Third image: when i came home from work, decent shot of his tail ends
last image: close up of gills...if thats any indications

Please tell me I'm just being paranoid!
Attached Images

Brendans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 
frazier71

.6 is a little high for ammonia and 72-80? You want the temp to be constant. Usually 82-84 for bettas. Mine likes 78 though. And keep an eye on the whole fin rot usually starts on the ends of at the body and the edges would be red or black around the whole if it was. Add some aquarium salt helps deter infection and usually disease
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 
frazier71

If your tanks not cycled which im guessing its not since your nitrates is 0. Your gonna want to do 25% changes 2 times a week one of the times with a gravel vacuum also live plants or a apple (mystery) snail will help keep waste down
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
Mo

The pictures provided indicate that it is a result of flaring in exesive amounts, leading to what is commonly called a "blown fin" where there seem to be pinholes in the center of a bettas fin.

For these kinds of situations, a daily way change schedule along with nicely heated, constant water will heal the fins in an exelerated amount of time around the course of about 3-7 days

Also, your ammonia is exceedingly high for any tank. .6 ppm is a very high amount that could lead to problems with your Betta right now like diseases due to a lowered immune system and a shortened lifespan, My recommendation for a reading that high would be to take a course of around a 90% water change as you ideally want a level of 0 ppm
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #5 
cp6445

Clean water will be key. I like API stress coat personally for injured fins to help regrowth. Also be sure not to use any sharp stuff in your aquarium (sharp plastic plants) that can snag his fins, and careful that he doesn't get his fins caught in the filter intake.

He's a beauty!
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 
Brendans

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
If your tanks not cycled which im guessing its not since your nitrates is 0. Your gonna want to do 25% changes 2 times a week one of the times with a gravel vacuum also live plants or a apple (mystery) snail will help keep waste down
Thanks alot for the speedy reply! Will the tank eventually cycle on its own with the filter? Also can i use chemicals temporarily to keep the ammonia levels down? It scared me to see the 0.6 on the test after just three days! I will head out to buy aquasalts tomorrow in the mean while
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 
Brendans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
The pictures provided indicate that it is a result of flaring in exesive amounts, leading to what is commonly called a "blown fin" where there seem to be pinholes in the center of a bettas fin.

For these kinds of situations, a daily way change schedule along with nicely heated, constant water will heal the fins in an exelerated amount of time around the course of about 3-7 days

Also, your ammonia is exceedingly high for any tank. .6 ppm is a very high amount that could lead to problems with your Betta right now like diseases due to a lowered immune system and a shortened lifespan, My recommendation for a reading that high would be to take a course of around a 90% water change as you ideally want a level of 0 ppm
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I thought flaring was when they flare their gills and u can notice a flap surrounding the sides of the betta's face. (I saw another betta do that at the store) My betta hasn't done that once in my presence?

Also the test chart says 0.6 mg/L, does that equal to ppm?

Thank you once again!!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 
Brendans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp6445 View Post
Clean water will be key. I like API stress coat personally for injured fins to help regrowth. Also be sure not to use any sharp stuff in your aquarium (sharp plastic plants) that can snag his fins, and careful that he doesn't get his fins caught in the filter intake.

He's a beauty!
Thanks for the compliment :) I nearly had a heart attack coming home and seeing how much larger the tear was. The filter I have on is super low and when he swims around it, the fins don't seem to get caught up or anything. He seems to have a strange obsession with the filter, thermometer and heater. He swims around them all the time and leaves the plants and cave relatively alone (only seen him sleep on the plant once since i got him)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #9 
frazier71

Try to avoid chemicals just water changes regularly. For my 5.5 gallon I do it twice a week and its good. And yeah it will Google about it it will tell you about the fish and fishless nitrogen cycle
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #10 
Brendans

OH I read my typo its not 72-80, its 78-80