Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
freemike

UGH need a new 5 gallon tank...

So my brother gave me this crescent style 5 gallon tank. Well it's like 10 years old or better. Anyways it really blows the filter pulls to the point that it even bothers my ADFs. Then on top of that if you close the lid completely the heater kicks on until temps are a solid 82*. If I leave the lid open it stays a comfortable 78*. This tank went by the name of Galaxy 5 by Aquaria. The only thing good about this tank is the biowheel I like the sound of the water when it runs to fall asleep too.

Anyways I'm fed up with this tank. Anyone have any recommended 5 gallon tanks. I'm currently looking at this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258, but with that style hood as it reminds of the one I have I'm scared that it will hold the heat.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
xSTOTTSx

I recently bought the Marineland Crescent 3 gallon tank and I like it! They also make a 5 gallon size. I like the setup! Some people don't like the lid, which is a plastic cover, but I like it. It has a feeding hole, space for a filter (included), and a hole for the heaters power cord!
xSTOTTSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Freemike, I just got that Hawkeye (Aquarius) 5 gallon and I'm mostly pleased.

I haven't had any problems with it holding heat. It was at a steady 78F until I kicked it up to 82F (on purpose!) while I cycle the tank.

I got mine from Amazon (it was under $30 when I ordered it and eligible for Prime shipping, but it's higher now and not Prime eligible. Go figure!).

Here's the review I left on Amazon:

---------------------------------------------
This has only been set up for about a week, but so far I'm pleased. I'm still cycling it so no fish yet, but hopefully it will make a great home for my new betta.

Pros:
- For what you get, this is a great value!
- Love the hinged lid that allows for easy water changes and other maintenance.
- The "feed window" is nice so the whole hood doesn't have to be lifted (see Con#2) to simply feed the fish.
- Florescent bulb makes it easier to keep live plants.

Cons:
- The tank does seem to be slightly more prone to scratches; more so than the other acrylic tank I have, but nothing horrible yet. Plus I think there are scratch kits I could use if it gets bad.
- I love the hinged lid, but it does seem that when I open it to add ammonia for the cycle, water that has condensed on the inside of the lid drips down the back of the tank. Hopefully this will only be an occasional challenge.
---------------------------------------------

Since cranking up the temp it results in even more condensation. I've taken to propping the little "feed window" in front open to allow some of that moist air to escape. I didn't have to remove either of the punch out panels to put in my heater, but if condensation continues to be an issue I may look into doing that. Oh, and for bettas, I find the included internal filter (Mighty Mite) very strong, but it's easy to baffle with sponge media.

Also, I had looked at the Marineland 5 gallon corner, and almost decided on it, but then the price when I got this couldn't be beat.
Just my two cents.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
Slayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSTOTTSx View Post
I recently bought the Marineland Crescent 3 gallon tank and I like it! They also make a 5 gallon size. I like the setup! Some people don't like the lid, which is a plastic cover, but I like it. It has a feeding hole, space for a filter (included), and a hole for the heaters power cord!
Stotts how do you find the filter is doing in the crescent 3?

I have a female in a 2.5 tank the the filter current is sending her all over the place I like the fact that 3 is on sale and it would be perfect size to keep on my desk with my other 5 gal tank
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 
wystearya

I have the Hawkeye 5 and also love it! Mine must have been an older version, because it came with a different filter than what looks like is advertised with it now. I did not like that filter, and have changed to a sponge filter.

The tank itself is great! I like the shape and the hinged lid is nice. There are places in the back you can punch out for cords or tubing and a feeder door on the front. I actually taped the feeder door shut, I like more room when feeding so I just lift the entire lid. ;)

I don't have a problem with heat. It stays at the correct temperature and does not overheat.

There is condensation buildup on the inner part of the lid. I would assume this is common with any heated tank.

It comes with a nice light and there is a plastic cover to protect the bulb from the water.

All in all I think it is a good tank for the money. <3
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote