Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 
jsan08

Help me figure out a solution to my open top aquarium

Hi!

I have been picking up info from this forum for a few months now and just decided to join. Just 3 days ago my betta fish that I had for 3 years, Roy, jumped out of his new 5 gal tank. He had done it before (on V-day) but luckily he did it when I was around and he wasn't out for more than 30 seconds, although he took about a 4' fall! I didn't even know but my gf saw and started freaking out and scooped him up real quick, lol. Well the second time he must have done it right after I went to bed because in the morning I couldn't find him in the tank. I looked for about 10 mins and finally found him in a corner all dried up and stuck to the carpet. I heard bettas can survive for some time out of water, even if they appear dead...but he looked pretty dead. So I just called it and buried him in the backyard.

Needless to say the same day I went to petsmart and picked out/rescued another betta. He's a crowntail and his name is Charlie. He's young and growing and eats like a piggy :) He's in a cycled fluval chi 5 gal tank with a built in cube filter and an jager eheim 50w heater kept at 79-80 degrees.

This is my first real aquarium. I feel like I have the science behind keeping the aquarium in good shape down pretty good. Every sunday I use the gravel vac to clean the substrate surface, never taking more than 30% of the water out, treat new water with stress coat, add a little stress zyme and a drop of aquarisol. I added aquarium salt a while ago and read that it doesn't need to be continuously added because it doesn't evaporate. Sound good so far? If I'm doin something wrong or missing something let me know.

Charlie seems pretty happy...as I'm watching him right now he's swimming all around, he like to explore the bottom of his tank and go inside the pineapple/squidward houses and wiggle between the grass and he likes to rest on the sand

Aaaany way, I would like to find out a way to fit this aquarium with a top. Charlie doesn't seem like a jumper but I would just like to have the peace of mind. Any thoughts about what I could do? Would it be expensive to take the measurements to Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut some plexi-glass? What about using floating plants to lay on top of the water as a deterrent to jumping? I thought that would be cool as the live plants would have benefits and may be less expensive (?) And then I don't know what plants to get and how to take care of them really... Any thoughts would be appreciated :) Sorry about the long post :p
Attached Images

jsan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #2 
bananafish

Amazon sells a lid for the Chi: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A13957-F...2350338&sr=8-1

You could also make one out of an acrylic sheet from a hardware store, or craft mesh, probably.
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #3 
Eiksaa

Yes, the lid made by Fluval is pretty cool and in my opinion preserves the beauty of the tank too.
Eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I bought a huge piece of plastic cardboard at home depot for $4, plexiglass would have cost around $15. Plastic cardboard is water proof and easy to cut :)
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/626/7...703626_264.jpg
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I currently have clingfilm over the back 2/3 of the tank and the light over the first 1/3 to try and stop my new killis from jumping. Mine is an open topped tank (nothing as pretty as a Fluval, though).

I've found floating plants also help - I have heaps of duckweed and hornwort, and none of my girls have ever jumped. I also keep the water level about 4 inches below the top. I added the clingfilm due to new-fish-paranoia. :p

I am going to have to try this plastic cardboard stuff, sounds like a great alternative. Could you post a picture of it, Olympia?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I use plastic craft mesh, cut and twist tie together. It's breathable and see through.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I currently have clingfilm over the back 2/3 of the tank and the light over the first 1/3 to try and stop my new killis from jumping. Mine is an open topped tank (nothing as pretty as a Fluval, though).

I've found floating plants also help - I have heaps of duckweed and hornwort, and none of my girls have ever jumped. I also keep the water level about 4 inches below the top. I added the clingfilm due to new-fish-paranoia. :p

I am going to have to try this plastic cardboard stuff, sounds like a great alternative. Could you post a picture of it, Olympia?
I posted a pic of it in my above post, if you mean my tanks one, sure tomorrow. It's just basic still, haven't cut any feeding "doors" but I have some ideas for how to make them work :) I was recommended it by my friend with a 125 gal discus tank, it's great for keeping in the heat and humidity :)
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #8 
Wolfie305

I assume there should be some sort of hole(s) with anything you place on top, correct? (probably a dumb question lol) Just upgraded Paarthurnax's new tank and I am worried about the open top..
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #9 
Zero186

I don't like sheets of plexiglas or anything soild. Maybe it's just from keeping saltwater but I try to keep something with holes for gas exchange within the tank. Plus like some said craft mesh works and is cheaper to deal with and easy to cut.

Though currenty my bettas dont try to jump but I also keep many floating plants if that may have something to do with it.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #10 
jsan08

Can any one post a picture of there tank with the floating plants?
jsan08 is offline   Reply With Quote