Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Take a look at this..... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915

For soil...use top soil....sift or pick out any large pieces of organics....spread it out on something...like a big piece of plastic for a day or so.....

In 23gal tank.....I would use 2in soil and 1 in sand.....good that you plan to use sand as the cap for the corydoras.

Add some trumpet snails....they will help prevent anaerobic soil-or you can poke the soil a couple of times a week until the stem plants are growing well.

Your going to need more stem plants...lots more....the link I gave you has a list of plants I like to use

Your duckweed will be great and do just fine with the filter...

I add livestock the same day I set them up and have never had any issue.....as long as you have enough of the right species of plants to start to help keep the water safe...all should be fine.......

On start up-make back to back water changes until the water is clear-then add livestock once the water is at temp.....

Make water changes at least weekly for the first month and at anytime needed between....water should always look clear......
Once you start to see active growth on the stem plants and you have to trim and replant the tops.....reduce water changes to monthly........by the 2nd to 3rd trimming reduce water changes to every other month....Usually by 6 months you can start reducing WC to every 3-6 months provided that you have active growth on plants, all plants thriving and no fish or cloudy water problems.....

Lights-if the bulbs are nearing 12 month of age-its time to change them out anyway......look for Daylight 6500k bulbs

Start out on a 12h/day photoperiod......

You don't need any added ferts....the high nutrient level of the soil, natural decomp, fish poop and fish food is usually all that is needed for NPT....

Look forward to pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
Haha hello from Perth, just a curious question, hows the pricing of aquarium related products over there? It kills to get a anything over 10gallons . As for what could go wrong with the natural planted tank, I wont have the answer for that. And about the myth, noted :D.
If anything, I would question about planting the plants while the tank is full of water, but since your a member of the planted tank, I'm sure you'll have no problem.
Yep, things are expensive this side too. A new AquaOne 20 litre tank is about $98, and a Blue Planet of the same size tends to be about $80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
1)
8) Endlers need hard, basic water. Everything else on your list is soft acidic water fish. You may have an incompatibility unless you water is near neutral with medium hardness. You also are overstocked for a ~23 gallon tank, at about 126%.
Thanks very much for the detailed advice, Geomancer. :) Don't worry, I am aware of the overstocking issue. All of those fish (minus 5 cories, plus 5 Ember tetras) are currently in my 16 gallon waiting for this larger tank. It is manageable due to my extremely heavy planting, filtraton rated for 45 gallons and twice weekly 1/3 changes. :) Managing a slightly overstocked 23 gallon after this is going to be a breeze. :p
I am also aware of the Endler's needs. I have a pH of exactly 7 with soft water, but the Endlers have been bred locally in this water for multiple generations now and have adapated to it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Take a look at this..... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915

For soil...use top soil....sift or pick out any large pieces of organics....spread it out on something...like a big piece of plastic for a day or so.....

In 23gal tank.....I would use 2in soil and 1 in sand.....good that you plan to use sand as the cap for the corydoras.

Add some trumpet snails....they will help prevent anaerobic soil-or you can poke the soil a couple of times a week until the stem plants are growing well.

Your going to need more stem plants...lots more....the link I gave you has a list of plants I like to use

Your duckweed will be great and do just fine with the filter...

I add livestock the same day I set them up and have never had any issue.....as long as you have enough of the right species of plants to start to help keep the water safe...all should be fine.......

On start up-make back to back water changes until the water is clear-then add livestock once the water is at temp.....

Make water changes at least weekly for the first month and at anytime needed between....water should always look clear......
Once you start to see active growth on the stem plants and you have to trim and replant the tops.....reduce water changes to monthly........by the 2nd to 3rd trimming reduce water changes to every other month....Usually by 6 months you can start reducing WC to every 3-6 months provided that you have active growth on plants, all plants thriving and no fish or cloudy water problems.....

Lights-if the bulbs are nearing 12 month of age-its time to change them out anyway......look for Daylight 6500k bulbs

Start out on a 12h/day photoperiod......

You don't need any added ferts....the high nutrient level of the soil, natural decomp, fish poop and fish food is usually all that is needed for NPT....

Look forward to pics......
Thanks so much, OFL! I was hoping you'd weigh in on this. :p
I've made a new list of various plants that are available here. I can't get things like cabomba and naja grass, sadly. Does this look more appropriate?
Stem plants

Elodea
Ludwigia repens
Hornwort
Ambulia
Vallisneria (various types)
Lacefern
Hygrophilia (green and red)
Rotala Wallichii
Wisteria
Amazon Sword
Aponogeton Crispus