Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Advice on how much I should pay?

So I'll give you a little back story.

Right now I'm a sophomore in college and as the year closes we're starting to register things for next year and I've realized I don't want to live on campus anymore as it doesn't spark my interest because I'm so busy with work and school. My grandmother lives in the same city as I go to school. So I was talking with her about how I wanted to live off campus and she has offered to get an apartment where I could be a commuter student from for next year. Fast forward, she'll move in to it in a few weeks and I'll join her in May after school lets out. It's a 2 bed/2 bath and in a nice little place with lots of amenities. It would be just her and I, plus two cats (one is hers, the other is mine who lives with her now).

The monthly rent is $575. I was wondering how much do you think I should contribute monthly towards bills for this?

She hasn't asked for any money because it would be something she would have to pay anyways but I just want to do the responsible thing and help out. With summer coming I'll be working a lot more and last summer I averaged about $1300/month. This year I earn more/hr but I will be taking a summer class as well.
It should also be noted that even during the school year, I don't have any bills. I got a full ride to school and the only thing that I had to pay for was for a portion of my room and board which would now be eliminated by being a commuter student. In addition to the R&B, my car, insurance and cell phone bill are payed for by my grandfather (he won't take my money, I've offered!).
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
So I'll give you a little back story.

Right now I'm a sophomore in college and as the year closes we're starting to register things for next year and I've realized I don't want to live on campus anymore as it doesn't spark my interest because I'm so busy with work and school. My grandmother lives in the same city as I go to school. So I was talking with her about how I wanted to live off campus and she has offered to get an apartment where I could be a commuter student from for next year. Fast forward, she'll move in to it in a few weeks and I'll join her in May after school lets out. It's a 2 bed/2 bath and in a nice little place with lots of amenities. It would be just her and I, plus two cats (one is hers, the other is mine who lives with her now).

The monthly rent is $575. I was wondering how much do you think I should contribute monthly towards bills for this?

She hasn't asked for any money because it would be something she would have to pay anyways but I just want to do the responsible thing and help out. With summer coming I'll be working a lot more and last summer I averaged about $1300/month. This year I earn more/hr but I will be taking a summer class as well.
It should also be noted that even during the school year, I don't have any bills. I got a full ride to school and the only thing that I had to pay for was for a portion of my room and board which would now be eliminated by being a commuter student. In addition to the R&B, my car, insurance and cell phone bill are payed for by my grandfather (he won't take my money, I've offered!).
Wow, you are fortunate! I'm sure you are a good kid and obviously very smart so your grandparents help because you deserve it. With $1300 a month you should be able to swing half the rent and contribute towards food. The rest will probably go to gasoline and hopefully savings.

If she refuses to let you pay anything then for sure do all the cleaning and take her out to eat once a week
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Maybe half the rent and half of the groceries.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 
GreenTea
Member
 
GreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Since it sounds like you have no bills and only income, I'd say half of rent, groceries, and bills. You are very fortunate to have such supportive family members, and with money too! :)
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Oh I know I'm fortunate and very grateful for my family!

We came to an agreement tonight where I'll still keep putting half of my paycheck in savings like I have been, which leaves me about $600 to help out with/my own spending money. I found out that there is an initial deposit for the cats plus a monthly fee so I told her I would pay that and then I would buy half the groceries, all the cat food + $200 for rent/bills. That will come to about $400/month.

Thanks for your input, guys!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If she refuses to let you pay anything then for sure do all the cleaning and take her out to eat once a week
Oh and I already do that! We're both really clean people so it's not that big of a deal but in the past she has been known to refuse my money so I take her car and fill it up with gas so she can't give it back!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Sounds great! You have such nice relatives. Mine are all tightwads. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southern NH
Sounds like you worked out the perfect deal What a nice family you have :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #9 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
I found out that there is an initial deposit for the cats plus a monthly fee
I hate landlords who take advantage of people with pets

Little kids do more damage to a house/apartment/yard than animals do. There should be a brat deposit.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Brat deposit! Lol. I totally agree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice SassyBetta Betta Chat 7 08-06-2011 11:02 AM
Advice emberdragon Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 02-18-2011 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.