Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
Tamyu

My new pair!

The beautiful pair I fell in love with has arrived safely. The guy who delivered them asked me if there were really live fish in there (as was written on the box), and was amazed that people mail living creatures. He said he had been especially careful with it.

They were both pretty active and happy to see light when I unwrapped them. She is a bit shy, but seems to be really friendly. He seems really curious and not very hostile. Their personalities have been coming out more and more as they settle in.

Names will come after I get to know them a bit more.

Here the male is, just after being released into his tank. He wanted out of his bag ASAP and almost knocked it over while I was floating it. I ended up having to put him in a mini-tank to mix the water.

And here is the female, also soon after being released. She really watches me. He notices me and pays attention, but she moves her eyes and head and follows my every movement.

They both are very iridescent and look totally different in these photos because of the flash. Under normal light, she is almost lavender and he is white and deep blue. But getting decent pictures of them without a flash is not easy.
I have noticed that when the female flares, her fins turn a lavender-purple color that I would love to get a photo of.

The male has a really interesting mouth - at first glance, it almost looked as if he had chipped his bottom lip... But on closer inspection, he has white lipstick in the middle with black on the sides.

They both stick their noses out of the water and make little slurpy click sounds that have to be the cutest thing ever. I get the feeling it is a call for food because they will look at me and do it while I am watching.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

Wow what a gorgeous pair!! <3
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

What a beautiful pair! The color is really interesting and the way you describe them is like im there seeing them in person!

the male's face is so adorable. They're really going to produce some amazing marbles!

Where did you get them?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #4 
Tamyu

Thanks!

I got them from a breeder in Japan. I am not a betta breeder myself, but may attempt a spawn in a month or two after I have learned more and am set up for it. The coloring from their line is absolutely beautiful, so I would be thrilled to even manage to get one good spawn from them.
I have a terrible weak spot for piebald marbles...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 
bettasusa

Very Beautiful! I love their coloration. May have to watch for spawn log to see if any babies become available. Congrats!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 
mcturtle

Wow, they are just stunning. I love the green colouring!! I've never seen that shade of green before.
mcturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturtle View Post
Wow, they are just stunning. I love the green colouring!! I've never seen that shade of green before.
If the betta was that exact green color it would be a forest green betta...which are very rare.

It's the iridescent color that makes them look green but they are blue.

Yes the pieballs are truly beauties!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
blueridge

Very gorgeous pair!!!!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
If the betta was that exact green color it would be a forest green betta...which are very rare.

It's the iridescent color that makes them look green but they are blue.
Yes - the male is a sort of deep turquoise blue with an almost yellow iridescence. The yellowish overlay makes him look green when light is shined on him.
The breeder was much better at capturing his regular coloration in this photo. (One of the set that made me buy him.)

I am really amazed at just how very reflective he is - I can see all of him but his head if there is any light at all shining into the tank in the dark.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Regardless...I would have bought that pair in a heartbeat is I saw them! They are a lucky find! Beautiful fish you have!