Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 
SweetNightmare

Future planning

So, I'm either going to get this ten gallon:
Petsmart.com - Sale: Fish: Marineland Bio-Wheel LED 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit
Or one of the Fluvial Chis, either 5 gal or 6.6 gal. Either way, I will be cycling before adding other fish.

I wanted some suggestions for tankmates, for any of the gallonages, for my betta. I've got my heart set on some panda cories after I saw them in one of the tanks at my job. However, I do like choices and variety; I don't expect the smaller gallonages to hold much, but I would like a small community in a ten gallon if I got it. Not much, but a little, something to make it more exciting. What would y'all suggest? The more interesting, the better, of course. :)
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #2 
SweetNightmare

Anyone?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
SweetNightmare

Really, nothing? If it helps, I'm leaning more towards the ten gallon, and plan to go pick it up tomorrow and start the cycle. I know I want to get a small school of panda cories, but I'd also like something with a middle swim depth since bettas chill at the top, like glowlight tetras from what I've read. Would my tank be able to handle another small group? Or should I just get something like some cherry or ghost shrimp? I just know between the cories at the bottom, and the betta at the top, there'd be some empty space in between.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Sadly, in the 5-6 gallon tanks you are limited to a betta and inverts, no other fish.

In the ten gallon, 4-6 panda cories and a betta would fully stock you. You don't have room for cories and a group of mid-swimmers. If it helps, happy cories will also explore the mid-levels, and as labyrinth fish will swim to the top for air. Bettas also like to explore all levels. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
SweetNightmare

What would I have to do to fit six? I know they're more sensitive than some other cories, should I do more frequent water changes? I've always liked the look of an active tank, so I want to make sure everyone's as healthy and happy as possible. :) My work sells them for five bucks each, and I have to say, they're ADORABLE, I love watching them in our tanks. Of course, they're a little overcrowded in our tanks since we have limited room and fish go fast anyways, so they're happy to have lots of buddies.

Btw, adorable ratties in your avatar. :) I have five myself; they're such wonderful pets.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The thing about Pandas is that they stress easily, when bagged and in new places, so you'd have to keep a car ride to as short as you can. They are very cute though :)
Pygmy cories, I've heard that they enjoy mid level swimming more, you could have 7-8 in a ten gallon with betta. I dont think pet smart carries them so you'd have to go to a fish shop most likely.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 
SweetNightmare

My work is a three minute drive from my house, so a long car ride wouldn't be an issue. I would make sure to buy them when I'm not working or tell my bosses to wait to bag them until the end of my shift.

I'll ask my friend who works at an aquarium store if they carry pygmies. If so, he can get me his discount. :P Those pandas are super cute though, but I suppose if they're prone to stress, they wouldn't do well if Zero decides he likes pestering them.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

They are more prone to stress than other cories, but they do just fine once they are settled in. :) Usually, anyway. I did have a few just randomly die for no apparent reason.

If you can get pygmies, I definitely would. They are even better suited for a ten gallon than pandas. To have 6 pandas, yes, water quality is important, but so is footprint. I reckon that ten gallon you are looking at could support six.

Make sure you have a sand substrate - my pandas did not do well on gravel. The difference in their health and happiness with sand was distinct. :)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 
SweetNightmare

Already done. :)

Since I'm trying to quicken the cycling rate(I already have my betta, fate sort of dropped him on me, in his cup thankfully, lol) I'm considering doing a planted tank. Do you know if cories would eat the plants? I know they're omnivores, so I'm worried they'll see my planted tank as a feast. :P
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

My tank is incredibly heavily planted. I've had panda, peppered and bronze cories in there and haven't lost a single plant to them. I haven't even seen them nibble. They might dig up some plants though, as they love to wiffle through the top layers of the substrate.