Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 
underdebate

Opinions on dividing tanks?

So. I need opinions.

Who's got some experience with dividing a tank? (What sort of dividers did you use, how did you set it up, how big was the tank, etc.?)

What sort of issues did you encounter (fish jumping, dividers failing, over-aggressiveness, stress, whatnot) and how did you resolve them?

How did it affect the way you ran your tank (where did you put the heater, how/how often did you clean it)?

Any things you'd recommend always/never doing?

I recently got my hands on two ten-gallons and I'd like to divide at least one of them-- I don't feel experienced enough with other fish to try 'real' tankmates, but I'd really like to keep more than one fish in it, just because of how huge it is. Hence, OPINIONS. I'd really like them. :)
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I love my divided 10 gal tanks. I will never do anything smaller again (if I can help it). With 10 gals you can cycle them which drastically cuts down on water changes and stress for the fish. It also gives them ample swimming room. I made my own dividers using this tutorial: Tank Dividers @ petfish.net (Craft canvas one). They were cheaper and hardier than the dividers you buy at pet stores.

I divide my tanks in a slightly different manner. I divide them into 3 sections with the middle section being just large enough to fit a heater and bubble filter. Here is a good visual:

It required a lot of measuring, but it was well worth it. The boys can't see each other so they won't overstress while I'm gone. And if someone does jump the divider, they are just in the middle section. I did have one boy jump once. All that happened was he was in the middle section for a few hours until I came home. If you're really worried about jumpers, you can make jump guards from the remaining craft mesh. I now have them on my divided tanks.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #3 
djembekah

if you go the plastic canvas route, make sure and call your michael's/joanne's/local craft store to make sure they have the plastic canvas. i work at a michael's and people ask us for it ALLLL the time xD and personally now that i want to try divided 10 gallons, i'm like, DANG IT! I love Izzy's design though :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I like your plan koi, I too have a divided tank, mine is just a standard tank divided in two.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1324501001

This was it just after being set up (hence the cloudyness).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 
copperarabian

I have a 10g divided 4 ways, I prefer 3 ways though. I actually hate small aquariums, I have a 2.5 mini bow and I'm constantly cleaning it and doing water changes.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 
underdebate

I love your setup, Koi! I was thinking of doing something like that-- two dividers with the heater/filter in the middle, but I wasn't sure what sort of material I'd end up picking. Plastic canvas seems like it'd be perfect.

My only issue is that I don't necessarily want to permanently attach anything to my tank, just in case I want to try a different setup with it in the future. I'll tinker with it and see what I can come up with. :)
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

The sealant is removable. Just take a straight-edge razor and shave it off. I had to do it once with my tanks after I realized my measurements were way off. There are clips you can use to hold the dividers in place, but I found them cumbersome and hard to work with.

We'd love to see pictures when you're done. Maybe it will give someone else an idea!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #8 
ravenwinds

I have 2 5g tanks, a 2.5g mini bow, and 2 divided 10gallons. I agree w/ copperarabian, I hate small tanks...way too much water changes! Dividers I have are the pet store ones...save your money, they barely work! Thanks koimaiden for the link...I am gonna get supplies next time I'm in town and make me some dividers that work:)
I am also going to add a smaller mesh to one side and stuff it with Phoenix or Flame moss so that it makes a moss wall. I don't like to see the white screen breaking up the tanks plants and decor and it will give my boys some privacy.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote