Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 
Hollythebetta

Oh no!! Poor Holly!!

One of my kids had to be rushed to hospital on Monday. I stayed in with him and we got home last night (Wednesday night). My husband fed the fish, but didn't do any water changes or anything. Holly was in an unfiltered 2.5g tank the whole time and he looks awful! He's covered in white patches again and his fins look terrible. I changed his water immediately, with a big dose of tri sulphur medication.

This poor fish has been through so much lately, do you think I can bring him back from the brink again? Or is it time to let him go? He's still eating like a piggy (I mix it up with freeze dried bloodworms as an extra meal in the middle of the day now too which he LOVES), swimming and flaring. He just looks bloody awful....
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

See if the medication can help him this time.

Unfortunately, if he's reacting like this to one missed water change, his odds don't look too good since his immune system seems to be pretty weak.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #3 
Hollythebetta

I know. It's not looking good is it? :(
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What temperature is your water?
Are the patches fuzzy at all, or is it what he had before?
Turning the temp up can help his immune system, but certain things like fungus thrive in warm water, so it may be a bad idea.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 
Hollythebetta

It looks like the same thing as before. The patches aren't fuzzy, it's almost like he's just losing colour in patches. He is also STARVING. As in, he's leaping out of the water when he sees me pick up the food container. I've increased his food, so he is now having two feeds of 4-5 pellets each time plus a few freeze dried bloodworms in the middle of the day.

I've bought a new heater, seeing as he's now on the smaller tank (9L), so we'll see how that goes.

This poor fish, he has been through so much. I feel like I'm being cruel for dragging this out, but I don't want to just euthanize him if he can get better.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't feed the freeze dried bloodworms more than 1-2 times a week, they are bad for him. All betta act like they are starved :)
I hope he recovers :(
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #7 
Hollythebetta

Oh really? I thought the extra protein would be good for him. He's always had a good appetite, but never acted this ravenous before. He's only little for a betta (I think crowntails generally are?), so I'm worried about overfeeding him but at the same time, I don't want him going hungry.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It does have some extra protein, but daily is too much, and could make him get constipated. So in moderation is good.
People say crowntails aren't smaller, but if you ask me they all seem smaller xD
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 
Leeniex

How's your kid? What happened? Nothing scarier then when something's wrong with them. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 
Hollythebetta

OK, here's what Holly looks like today. The white specks in the water are due to the tri sulphur tablet.

Oh, and Leeniex, my kid's OK now thanks. He has a lot of medical problems, so hospital stays are fairly common for us, but this one threw even me. Nothing like seeing your 4 year old puke blood to get you panicking!
Attached Images