Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 
Jessicatm137

Poor thing! My only advice is to maybe increase water changes, though you've probably already done that. Hope he gets better!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, good thing your kid is okay! That must be pretty bad that he's sick all the time.

I have never seen a fish as sick as Holly. If you haven't done this, I'd sign up on tropicalfishkeeping.com and ask in their disease section. There might be more people on there with a clue as to what's happening to him, might be something uncommon. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #13 
Hollythebetta

I have been doing daily changes for weeks. I only missed two this week because I was in hospital with my kid, but back to daily now.

The temp is stable at 78F in his tank - should I increase it a bit?
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I know warm water will treat fin dot and ich, and worsen fungus. This does not seem to be a fungus though.. If you can, raise the water to 80F then 82F a day or two later so he adjusts.. Higher temps do help their bodies fight disease.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 
Hollythebetta

Ok, I will do. I might wait until tomorrow to raise the temp to 80F as I only put the heater in today, so I don't want to raise it too quickly.

I'll check out that other forum too, thanks. Holly is in a bad way, isn't he? Poor little guy. I feel terrible about it, as I suspect I caused it. I wish I had found this forum when I first got holly, rather than just following the advice from the pet shop.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well, that's not your fault, at least you found us now!
Yea, I think TFK might have a better idea of what did that, they deal with all fish in general :)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

could it be ammonia burns or some kind of chemical burn? What were your levels? Im ni expert in this field so its jut a guess
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #18 
Hollythebetta

That's what I thought the first time. Would the amonnia levels rise dramatically enough to do that in less than 3 days though?

Every time I have had the water tested, there's never been any amonnia or anything detected. My pH is a little high, but still under 8.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #19 
Tikibirds

Poor Holly :(

I have no idea what could be his problem, I think all the possibilities were covered in pasts posts. However I highly doubt it is being caused by not changing his water for 3 days. If his immune system was THAT weak, I think you would of lost him by now.

As for chemical burns - is his heater ok? That's the only thing I can think of and was the Jumping color gene ruled out as a possibility for his color change?

With daily water changes, his water should be super clean and his fins should be growing back....

from what I have heard, as long as the PH is stable, the betta should adjust to it.
Tikibirds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #20 
Hollythebetta

Oh, I forgot to mention that the fin rot wasn't really fin rot. I didn't realise the tunnel I bought him when he first got sick had some sharp bits on it. Since I removed that, his fins are looking ok again.

I didn't have a heater in with him before, because it would overheat the tank, so it can't be that.

Jumping gene wasn't ruled out, but he got his colour back in the AQ salt, so we just assumed it was illness related.

I can't understand how he can be this sick but still be active, still flare and still eat so well. Nearly everything I've read says that a sick betta doesn't do those things.

I just wish I knew what was wrong. :(