Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 
TheDevonFox

Exclamation A Traveling Musician's Concern

Hey, guys
I live with my band mates, and since I purchased my handsome Loki today, they've all been suggesting that I bring him along with us for our two week long tour down the coast, then back up, as a tiny, fishy merch person.

There are so many concerns and reservations that I've got on my mind. Firstly, is this indeed possible, and if so, how could I go about doing that? And is it potentially dangerous to my betta's health? I'm pretty sensitive to his needs, and would try my best to compensate and adjust him to anything that I could, but if anyone thinks that this would be too strenuous on him, let me know!

Thanks! :D
- Devon
TheDevonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

My worries would be:
a) it will be very stressful on him, constantly moving like that and being exposed to varying temperatures; and
b) he'll be away from a power source for long stretches, meaning his filter will be out of commission.
I wouldn't risk it.

Good luck with your tour. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
Myates

Have to agree, even though we want to take them places when we are leaving for an extended period of time.. sometimes it's just not feasible. Just too much stress for the little guy to handle. Is there someone at home to care for him while you are away?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
TheDevonFox

Thank you, all! I've got a few options for the two weeks that we'll be gone, so I'll make sure he's all set for while I'm gone! (I'll also be gone for most of the month of May :P)
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I can tell you taking a tropical fish on an extended road trip is NOT a good idea. I had to transport my fish 5,000 miles via car from Alaska to NY in winter and lost 20/24 of them. The 4 that did survive, I had to hold on my lap near the heater so they wouldn't freeze like the others. Every few days we stayed in a hotel and I allowed each one to swim around in a 2 gallon tank and then I put them back in their cups with clean water. On non hotel nights, i had to use a syringe to scoop out poops and add in some clean water. 10 days of holing the fish next to the heater and having my dog on my lap = not fun

Granted I did this in wintertime when it was -50F for 1/3 of the trip but I still wouldnt recommend it for spring/summer as its probably very stressful for the fish
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Most everyone has the right idea: fish don't travel well at all. On top of the heating and space, you'll have to worry about rapidly changing water parameters. Almost every night on a road trip you will be in a different watershed, and the tap water will have different parameters. These rapid changes will stress a fish to the point of death. Just leave your little guys at home where they are accustomed to the water. The key to a healthy fish is healthy water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 
TheDevonFox

Yeah, he's staying home. Though, I'm gonna be away for so many different things all summer, I'm gonna really miss him a whole bunch <3