Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question How to Tell if Anubias is Healthy or Dying?

I was wondering what some of the warning signs are for the begining of the end for Anubias.
I got my first Anubias about 10 days ago. I just got two more today. Well I was comparing the old one with the new ones and they do not look the same. :/
The new anubias have white roots and lighter leaves while the older one has greenish roots and darker leaves. (all three are anubias nana)
I also noticed that the new ones have no odor but the old one smells like wet soil. nd the older one's roots are trying to move upwards toward the surface.

I was just curious if this was normal? They are all reciving the same care and setups so if the old one is dying then I am pretty sure the others will eventually too.
I want to make sure it is not dying because I have heard dying plants can make your fish sick.

All the plants are each in 1 gallon filterless tanks with a lump of java moss (the moss is doing great btw. lol)

This is my first experince with live plants so any info would be helpful. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Anubias are pretty hardy plants. The older leaves will be a darker color but they could also be a lighter green if they don't receive much light.
The new leaves will be smaller and light green which will trun darker over time.
I don't think the are dying, seem normal to me according to your description.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Well, I'm in no way an expert, but my plant research seems to indicate that light levels play a roll in leaf color. I also remember reading that new leaf growth is a sign of a healthy plant.

Give them several weeks to adjust to their new living conditions. Watch for dead leaves and remove those so they don't decay & mess with your water conditions.

I've always loved plants and theres little difference in aquatic and terrestrial plants. Well, except aquatic plants are way less likely to get aphids!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote