Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #1 
xSTOTTSx

Tank mates?

I have a 3 gallon tank for Kaida and want some tank mates! I am in the process of rooting my Anubis to my rock cave and building a moss wall for it. I want something low maintenance, like shrimp. What type of shrimp, bottom feeders, etc. could I add?

And anyone have tips on how to speed up the process of rooting Anubis to rock/ driftwood?

Thanks all!
xSTOTTSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Hi,
You need a 10 Gallon Tank for other fish with a betta. :)
IMO snails shouldn't be in less than 5 gallons.
Shrimp would be great if your betta is peaceful. Some just can't tolerate shrimp.
Here are some good kins of shrimpies:
red cherry shrimp
amano shrimp
ghost shrimp

Hope I helped! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 
Mo

There are a few Invertebrate options. No fish though as most fish dont handle a number of factors that a 3 gallon might encounter of regularly does, such as aggression from the betta, ammonia reaching high, toxic levels, constant stress due to netting, along with moving out of the tank, and a space issue, most freshwater fish are far too active to be placed in that small of a tank resulting in them not showing there full potential. Actually it is highly likely that the betta will become nippy, and start tailbiing as most fish will be seen as zooming around in that tank to the betta due to how small it is.
most of the options below, I have done with success (ghost shrimp were hard to keep alive, though) which is why I recommended them.

-Pond Snails, These would be a great choice, as they have very minimal requirements, along with a very small bio load due t how small they are. you dont have to feed them, no special care. and they wont have a population boom as they do in community tanks unless you feed flakes, or your betta doesnt eat all the pellets. they also will provide as great cleaner crews in respect to decaying plant matter. Please take into consideration that these are known to over populate the tank when given enough food, ideally you would aim for a maximum of around 5

-Amano Shrimp, much hardier than the other shrimp and will tolerate 100% water changes alot better, along with not perfect water quality. They are very entertaining and fun to keep, Amano's will thrive with planted tank along with added supplements like shrimp pellets. I would highly recommend these, very awesome shrimp

-Ghost Shrimp, not much these as they require pristine water quality along with a minimal amount of stress. with 100% weekly water changes it will be very stressful

-Cherry Shrimp, not much these as they require pristine water quality along with a minimal amount of stress. with 100% weekly water changes it will be very stressful

Your best choices would be amano shrimp.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 
xSTOTTSx

Amano Shrimp it is! Recommended amount for 3 gallons? Would 2 be okay? Thank you guys!
xSTOTTSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #5 
Mo

Yes. You could easily have 3 if you wanted
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Shrimp need lots of plants and aeration too, right?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 
Mo

No. Specific harder to maintain types do though.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
Jessicatm137

I would add ghost shrimp.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 
xjenuhfur

If you don't know how your betta is going to act around the shrimp, I would test with ghost shrimp. They're cheap and if he decides they are a tasty expensive snack you won't be too devastated. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote