Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 
Petsushi

Rooibos blended tea?

I was reading that rooibos tea was very good for bettas. I had some bags of organic rooibos blended tea that says it's caffeine-free. I was wondering if the ingredients would be safe to use for my betta:

70% rooibos leaf, 10% honeybush leaf, licorice root, red ginseng, roasted black maca root

Are those safe? I tried looking them up and it seems like the ingredients wouldn't do any harm. But opinions from betta keepers would be even better! Thanks!
Petsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I use pure roobis tea rather than the blends, i have a feeling that herbs that dont have a negative effects on humans might not neccessarily be the same for fish. But I'm pretty sure rooibos by itself is fine, and can be used rather liberally. Ive pretty much let it steep for day until the water turns dark brown, the betta couldnt be more happier. Just make sure you steep it in the tank water rather than actual hot water.

Your blend reminds me of the starbucks blend, which also has licorice and leaves a finny after taste on the tongue.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1 to aokashi. I wouldn't risk using a blend. I've also heard green tea can work, though I've never experimented with it (I use Indian Almond Leaves, since I know I can't go wrong with those. :p)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #4 
Petsushi

Thanks, I better not risk it then :P
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petsushi View Post
Thanks, I better not risk it then :P
Yup better to be safe, After reading your post I became curious about the effect herbs will have on fish. I read up on the herbs and decided to go with Gingseng since it didnt seem to be detrimental to fish, having some gingseng on hand I placed it in my betta no.2s 1 gallon. By evening he was lethargic and vomitted out all his food that he tried to eat. I took him out and placed him into clean crisp water with nothing in it, withon half an hour he was all fine and dandy again.
lesson? never put strange stuff in your bettas water
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

I am not sure, but i think licorice is poisonous to animals... at least that is what i read im not completely certain though, so i say just don't risk it.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #7 
Petsushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Yup better to be safe, After reading your post I became curious about the effect herbs will have on fish. I read up on the herbs and decided to go with Gingseng since it didnt seem to be detrimental to fish, having some gingseng on hand I placed it in my betta no.2s 1 gallon. By evening he was lethargic and vomitted out all his food that he tried to eat. I took him out and placed him into clean crisp water with nothing in it, withon half an hour he was all fine and dandy again.
lesson? never put strange stuff in your bettas water
Oh my gosh, I'm really glad your betta's okay! Guess it is always better safe than sorry.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

He's fine, I think bettas are sometimes too hardy for their own good. I mean how many things in this world are there that are so elegantly beautiful and yet so often abused? my IAL arrived today, so Im supper happy!

Youcan get hose on ebay for around $5