Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 
jediwing

Absolute Beginner. Good advice needed!

I bought a dragon scale betta last Friday from Petsmart. I named him Ninja and I already love the little guy. He is my first fish but I followed some bad advice when I bought him. I've been reading through the forums for a couple of days now including the FAQ sticky for beginners. All of you seem very knowledgeable and would love any advice!

Here's the *cough* long-winded rant short *ahem* I mean...short and sweet version!

Soooo, I listened to a friend's bad advice for the first few days since I knew absolutely nothing about taking care of fish. Here are some cringe worthy examples: "put one or two drops of bettafix in the bowl everyday" and "you can just put him in the water" (lukewarm tap water without any acclimation whatsoever) *Sigh*. At least she told me to put prime in the water before hand.

Thank goodness I found these forums and unlearned all the advice my friend gave me. In her defense, she is new at it too, and was taking advice from a veterinary-in-training who claims to be a fish expert (Yikes!)

My problem:

Ninja, my fish, because I didn't know anything, is not in a very ideal environment at the moment. It's a pretty bad one....

He is in a glass 1 gallon bowl with no heater *face palm*. I did two 100% water changes this week so far with tap water that was room temperature (let it sit out for 24 hours) with prime. I switched out the hard plastic decorations with soft plant ones (tested on a pair of panty hose).

I do not have the fan on in my room and the AC is off (room temperature at 78F). I also wrapped a small towel around the base of the bowl, and put him semi-close to a window in the hopes to warm up his bowl until I get all of his gear.

Here is what I bought him. Am I missing anything?

-- 5 Gallon Tank
-- Water Test Kit
-- Thermometer
-- 25 watt Heater
-- Silk-Style Plant

I should have everything by March 30th. I just hope he will stay alive long enough for me to cycle the tank, test the water, etc.

I was worried the other day when I changed his water. It was too cold for him and he was sluggish. But now he is swimming more. Maybe I should get one of those 7.5 watt heaters to hold him over?
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 
Laki

Bettas are pretty hardy and don't beat yourself up about it. My first betta lived in a .5 gallon with no heater for months! Your list looks great but instead of a 25w heater, get a 50w or 75w. This will extend the life of the heater because there will be less on/off cycles. I wish I had known that when I picked up my 10w and 25w!!
I also reccomend getting live plants. Java fern and marimo moss stay alive. If I haven't killed them yet then I recommend them as hardy! lol AND my java fern is multiplying like crazy! The live plants (these 2 mentioned do not require any special lights or anything) are great for water quality. Less ammonia and all.
Don't waste your money on a 7.5 heater. If you can afford the 15-20$ for one you might as well just pick up a regular watt heater!! They're about the same price!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 
jediwing

Thanks! I'll look into the live plants for sure.
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

It looks like a good list to me. Personally I haven't had any problems with a 25 watt heater in my 5 gallon. :) Other great live plants include java moss and anubias. Some fast-growers (suck up heaps of ammonia) include hornwort and elodea. :)

Don't let shop assisstants talk you into buying semi-aquatics, such as mondo grass, scarlet temple, purple waffle, gold ribbon, violet or aluminium. They will rot in your tank.

Rather than wait for your tank to cycle, I would put your little dude in as soon as it is set up with a heater and do a fish-in cycle. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but it's better for him to be in a heated tank that is cycling than an unheated tank that isn't. The water changes will be much the same. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 
Laki

I haven't had problems with my 25w either!! But mine I know works harder sometimes with drafts coming in to keep the water at the right temp. A larger wattage would work for me and I read here that they last longer if they don't have to work as hard. :) I don't know the life of heater actually.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 
csc102

I agree with the others. I suggest you buy real plants as well to suck up ammonia and make sure you keep up with water changes. With real plants, buy a desk lamp and buy a lightbulb that grows plants. I suggest you buy those at petsmart because they carry a bunch. Lastly, do not get cheap food. I suggest you spend a little extra cash on Hikari brand food. Their pellets last a very long time and so do their freeze dried products. Good Luck :D
csc102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm I believe you can buy good lights at hardware stores for a fraction of the price, that are the same thing as those pet store lights :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote