Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
Aus

Sudden Death

My beloved Sid Fishus died suddenly. I don't know why, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I got Sid, he was thin and lethargic and had some kind of infection that made his poo pale. I thought it might be parasites, but before I could obtain worming meds his poo became way more normal and he looked much heathier in general, which I attributed to clean water and good food, and it seemed whatever disease it was had run its course.

Then he got ick. We cured that quickly.

Then his fins (which were always a bit ragged, since the day I got him) got an aggressive case of fin rot. AQ salt produced healthy tissue quickly in the hospital tank. But in one day back in his tank with no salt, the rot came back and was even worse. He went back in the salt, which slowed it again.

Back in his regular tank, all seemed well. I am scrupulous with water changes and acclimation, and had just done a 30% water change (and tested the water before and after - 0% ammonia) when I noticed he couldn't close his mouth fully and his gills were 'gasping' rapidly. His skin also looked a little funky, and I assumed it was a sudden bout of columnaris.

I set up the hospital tank again, put him in with AQ, but he got worse by the minute and was darting and shaking his head, very distressed. Then I gave him a conservative dose of Myxazin (it says one drop per litre, but he had a half dose as I'm not experienced with that medication and the drops looked awfully BIG).

Then he just - stopped swimming. It was so sudden. All of this was in a very short space of time. I watched him sink to the bottom of the tank - and he was dead.

I tried SO hard to do the right thing for him - micro managing much? He just never did seem wholly well, but none of the diseases he had tend to insta-kill fish.

Bad water can do that - but his water was super clean. Our other betta is fine, with the same water quality. I just don't know.

And I really miss him.. Dammit.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

I'm so sorry for your loss!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
Aus

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hey Aus!

Aw the poor thing :s I hope my fish will never do that to me, now that Im sure that they are all quite healthy... (Got a secod one) Did you use any chemicals around your tank before the fish died? I tried a tiny bit of gingseng in my fish jo.2 tank once and he went all lethargic on me( I know stupid me for experimenting), placed him back in clean water and he popped back to life.

For your deceased fish, Ican only think it was some kind of parasite that attacked his gills...? columnaris doesnt kill that quickly does it? could it be gills flukes?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Poor Aus. :( I'm sorry for your little guy, he sounds like he went through a lot. I think his various ailments probably just built up and up to the point where his immune system was totally destroyed, then one little thing just tipped him over the edge. :( I have had something similar happen before to one girl, who was totally healthy one day, then went rapidly downhill overnight and was dead the following afternoon.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 
TheDevonFox

I'm so sorry! That's horrible! : ( It sounds like it was something that was a preexisting general problem with his health, and you went above and beyond in order to give him a real fighting chance!
TheDevonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #7 
Aus

Thank you, everyone.

I don't think it was a toxin - I am pretty anal about washing my hands before and after touching the water, and try not to touch it as much as possible. No sprays are allowed in my living-room, etc.

I wondered, actually, if the Myxazin - even at half dose - was just too much for him? I still don't know why he couldn't close his mouth on that last day - most sites say that's a sign of columnaris, which is why I treated him for it.

Sid was an awesome little guy, who seemed to really love human company and was highly interactive. He won the hearts of everyone in my house with his fishy antics and bright personality and showed more than one person that fish are not 'just fish'. He'll be remembered fondly.

I do think the existing issues he had when I bought him contributed heavily to his ongoing health issues. I really notice it, when compared to Daughter's fish who has enjoyed good health, aside from a tiny bit of fin issues due to him nipping himself. Her fish is not getting sickness after sickness like Sid.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 
TheDevonFox

You have my utmost condolences for your loss, and I really hope that all will go well for all your fishes from here on out!
TheDevonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #9 
Aus

Thank you! I have just acquired a young (and very healthy!) female betta, mainly due to Daughter's insistence, and so far she is going very well. :)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Im sorry for your loss but super happy and excited about your new fish, did you name it yet?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote