Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
Eiksaa

One siphon two tanks

Bad idea? I have two fish now in their own tanks. I use one bucket for water in for both, and one for water out. But the same siphon. What can I do to prevent any harmful bacteria spreading from one tank to the other one? Or should I buy another siphon? Thank you!
Eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I use the same siphon, bucket and jug for all my tanks. The only time I wouldn't would be if one fish was actually sick.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

It's perfectly fine to use the same siphon provided all the tanks and fish are healthy. I have a special siphon I use for my sick fish/quarantine tanks. The only time I would use two siphons is if the tanks are drastically different in size. I don't use the same siphon on my 10 gal tank as I use on my 55 gal tank. The massive one I have for the 55 gal would drain the 10 gal in a matter of minutes.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I use the same siphon on every single one of my tanks and I have around 30 odd of them, and around 70 odd fish.

The trick is to always monitor your fish's general health when maintaining your tank or even giving them their feed for the day. If one tank or fish looks 'off', or there has been a death recently, I will either use the same siphon and then disinfect it, or use a separate siphon.

I had a bad outbreak of ich in a sorority and it was only luck really that prevented me spreading it around to all my fish. Fortunately, one female died early on so I quarantined that tank and used my back-up siphon and bucket.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
Eiksaa

Thank you, guys! I had an ich scare about three weeks ago(two white raised dots) but I increased water temperature and it hasn't returned back. So that tank should be ok now?
Eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I use my big siphon for everything. Since it drains and re-fills through the sink my fish generally don't get sick because of the amount of clean water they get (almost 75% daily in all tanks).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiksaa View Post
Thank you, guys! I had an ich scare about three weeks ago(two white raised dots) but I increased water temperature and it hasn't returned back. So that tank should be ok now?
if it was really ich i would take the gravel and decorations out and boil it in salt water, then i'd empty the tank and fill it with hot bleach water. then rinse well and replace water and add declorinator and let it run for 30 mins.

i actually had algae in my tank a while back and i boiled the gravel and it hasnt came back. it kept coming back no matter what i did until i did this.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote