Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
betalova1

Unhappy Hellpp

My little brother came into my room when I was cleaning my fishes tank and scared me and I dropped my blue fish on my bathroom sink. I immediately picked him up and put him in fresh water. But what can I do to ensure my beta doesn't die? :(
betalova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by betalova1 View Post
My little brother came into my room when I was cleaning my fishes tank and scared me and I dropped my blue fish on my bathroom sink. I immediately picked him up and put him in fresh water. But what can I do to ensure my beta doesn't die? :(
He should be ok, they're pretty hardy things. Just try not to over worry about your fish and leave him alone for a whole, maybe checking on him every hour just to make sure that he's ok. As long as your water is clean and warm 78-82 degree fahrenheit , he should be fine and happy soon.

Ive dropped my betta before, Usually when I change his water I will scoop him with my hand, he decided to do a jaw dropping stunt and found his way out of my hollow fist and landed inside a carboad box. I figured trying to grab him was too much trouble and tipped him from the box into his new water. As the box is dry and absorbant and the fish is nice and moist, he got stuck on the way day and id have to shake the box to eventually get hom out. Poor thing was stressed and pale after hitting the water. An hour later he was fine again, like nothing ever happened. But he never dared to flop around when my hands are around him ever again. :) Story of me being a bad fish owner, but the moral of the story is, bettas are pretty hardy guys.

if you are really worried, maybe a small dose of aquarium salt might help him replenish the slime coat he lost during the scuffle, I used stress coat on mine after his cardboard box incident.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #3 
Bethydan

This is why I never bodily remove my boys from their tanks. I have neurological tremors anyway and I accidentally throw/drop things. My biggest concern would be the slime coat/skin and scales like aokashi said. Aquarium salt and Stress Coat if you have it. :) Otherwise just give him some peaceful quiet time to recover and keep an eye out. We've all done this before.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote