Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #1 
mattiebertram

HELP CORMAC!! :( ich?

hi,
my name is Mattie and i just got a betta fish this sunday (5 days ago). yesterday i noticed he wasnt eating. when i first brought him home he was doing just fine! today my roommate and i noticed that not only was he not eating, he was just sitting at the bottom of his two gallon tank. we did some research and we believe he has ich. we made an urgent run to our pet store 20 miles away and got some bettafix. but i just read this somewhere on a betta forum:

"Trophont Phase- [approx 4 days] The Trophont is the adult protozoan that is feeding on your fish. This is what you are looking at when you see the “granules” attached to your fish. The parasites are not susceptible to treatment during this phase."

does this mean that the bettafix wont save him? is he going to die no matter what?
i know it has only been five days, but i really have fallen in love with my little guy Cormac. i know i still have my warranty and can get a new fish, but i would be really upset to do so.

i also have an apple snail in the tank. right now both are removed and in a cup of water with the proper amount of bettafix. (it said it wont harm snails like most ich treatments).
i want to also treat with salt, but i dont want to hurt my snail.

please help me and my Cormac! i really dont want to see him go!

thank you for your time,
Mattie
mattiebertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi, ick is not a hard disease to cure. I would recommend a couple of things until one of the more experience memeber arrives to give you better instructions.

Bettafix will not cure any form of ick, it has also been known to kills bettas. A half dose rather than a full dose is recommended.

If you have aquarium salt, prepare a container where water changes can easily be performed. To make it easier for you, dont worry about putting anything in there other than water salt and fish. Salt should be dosed at 1 tsp/ gallon (and gradually increased up to 3tsp/ gal, will depend on your fish).

Try to gradually increase( 2 degrees/ day)the temperature in the tank until it reaches around 82. ( some claim that ick dies at 85 degrees, the validity of thay has yet to be proven.) Increase in temperature shortens the life cycle of the parasite. Make sure temperature doesn't fluctuate, this could stress your fish out and make it even more susceptible to disease.

Perform an 100% water change everday. When you hange water, make sure the new water has all the same parameters as the old, ( same temperature, PH, dosage of salt etc.) to avoid stressing your fish.

Water needs to be dumped every day to get rid of any free swimming ick parasites that can attach to your fish. make sure you wash your containers out well with hot water and scrub them down to eliminate all parasites.

Salt cannot be used indefinately, Ive heard the maximum amount of days to treat bettas with salt is around 14.

If you choose medication, there are many out there that specifically targets ich. I usually use maracide, there is also super ich cure, rid ich plus etc. I suggest you try the salt treatment before opting for the harsher meds, ich can usualky be cured with salt and heat.

I wish you all the best!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh and about that snail, I dont think he can be infected, clean out your tank and put him back in, while you treat your betta in another container, He should be just fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 
mattiebertram

he died around 4 am. :( it probably was because of the bettafix, if it has been known to kill them. i wish i had known before. but i'll get a new fish and try again with the right information this time around. i really appreciate your help.
also for the snail, it's that i'm afraid to use salt. i keep seeing different things about it being safe or unsafe for snails. or else it would have been my first resort.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear, may I ask you to describe your tank in as much detail as possible as hiw often you do water changes and wht you use? there should be a form in one of the stickies you can fill in, other members will also be able to help you much better if they know your setup in detail. It might be something that stressed the fish out that made it suceptable to disease. If you dont have any plants the snails might be too much. As for the snail, dont put him in quarantine with your betta next time, and keep it in a separate ( or in the original) tank.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #6 
mattiebertram

it's a 2 gallon, cylindrical, acrylic tank with a filter. it's new, but i set it up before i got my fish. and pH levels and all were safe before i put him in. i DO in fact have live plants in my tank for my snail. :) i made sure of that. i'm trying my hardest to take care of my pets to the best of my ability, but i'm used to furry critters. the problem is, in my dorm, we aren't allowed any pets other than fish. and no big tanks. :( so two gallons was the biggest i could do.
after cormac died, i cleaned the tank out before i put my snail back in. I dont know what could have stressed him, except that maybe the water was too cold? i try to keep it warm, but in our dorm the AC comes on at night. and is VERY cold. and there are no other temps to choose from. our dorm ac system is really crappy, whatever temp air comes out is what you get. this makes it very difficult to keep it constant. i'm looking into a small tank heater this time around. to be safe.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #7 
mattiebertram

also, because i only had him for 5 days, i didn't have the chance to change his water. i was planning on doing full water changes once a week.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #8 
djembekah

do you have a heater? when i upgraded Swish's tank, i got a better filter, and added a heater. He is much more active with the temperature staying at a steady 80. I feel bad for my other fish, who's heat source right now is a lava lamp >.< but a heater would probably help too! i got a 25w hagen elite heater for 10 bucks. the only problem i have with it was that its not submersible, but that just meant i had to modify my $13 3.3 gallon kritter keeper lid ^-^ they are a really good buy, i'd def recommend a heater. I will hopefully be able to upgrade my other fish soon as well. I wish you luck with another fish!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
mattiebertram

thank you! i am definitely going to buy a heater this weekend. :)

Tags
help!, ich disease, love fish, new betta owner, sick fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!