Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #11 
Bettas Rule
Banned

I breed Rosetails and I don't have deformed fish, nor did my spawns produce any rosetails. Rosetails are just normal halfmoons with lots and lots of branching, this is what causes the overlapping of the rays.
The opposit of a rosetail would be a super delta or delta tail as they have a lack of rays thus preventing them from a full 180 degree spread.
Personally, I use Rosetails when I am in need of more branching out of the spawn.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

You're probably not breeding rose tails. Rose tails WILL give you deformities. No way around it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #13 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
You're probably not breeding rose tails. Rose tails WILL give you deformities. No way around it.
I dunno, when I posted this male everyone told me he was rose-tail, this was back before I had spawned him. Whats your opinion?

Name:  new fish 012.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  68.0 KB
Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

He has a lot of branching but personally I don't see RT. RT often has a lot of other issues, like bad scaling, problems with disease etc.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #15 
betta lover1507

copperbarian has a RT and had a spawn, the son had a scale deformity wasn't sure about the sister's
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

I personally would just breed to HMPK. It improves fins and body types.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not all RT are deformed. But they are likely to be carrier of deformities. Problems usually arise if you breed a RT x RT or RT x 8 ray. That's why I said it's safer to make your own RT. Then you'd know how and what it's bred to - I don't trust bought RT because I don't know it's background. And by chance I got a bad carrier which gave me deformities for generations - making me fear them for breeding.

Like DT - not all are deformed. But they're most likely carriers.
8ray x 8ray = RT (F1) mild carriers
RT x RT = Many will physically show deformities and the genes will be stronger (F2)
RT x RT = More will physically show deformities and the genes will be fixed (F3)
The more you inbreed, the worse it gets. Though not 100% will show deformities, but 100% will at least be severe carriers in F3 and will pass it on for generations.

Since RT often have small/thin rays, it would be best to cross them to thick ray/finned and with fewer branching. Hopefully the deformities will not stick to your line. Then later, take the 8 rays and inbreed to get RT again - like DT. So it's constantly an in and out breeding process.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #18 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Not all RT are deformed. But they are likely to be carrier of deformities. Problems usually arise if you breed a RT x RT or RT x 8 ray. That's why I said it's safer to make your own RT. Then you'd know how and what it's bred to - I don't trust bought RT because I don't know it's background. And by chance I got a bad carrier which gave me deformities for generations - making me fear them for breeding.

Like DT - not all are deformed. But they're most likely carriers.
8ray x 8ray = RT (F1) mild carriers
RT x RT = Many will physically show deformities and the genes will be stronger (F2)
RT x RT = More will physically show deformities and the genes will be fixed (F3)
The more you inbreed, the worse it gets. Though not 100% will show deformities, but 100% will at least be severe carriers in F3 and will pass it on for generations.

Since RT often have small/thin rays, it would be best to cross them to thick ray/finned and with fewer branching. Hopefully the deformities will not stick to your line. Then later, take the 8 rays and inbreed to get RT again - like DT. So it's constantly an in and out breeding process.
I agree with this completely.

In every spawn with DT I get half deformed DT's with bad spines and half regular DT's, but I still know the value of the DT in halfmoon lines.
If we never bred DT's into our halfmoon lines because they are technically deformed and always produce more deformed fish, we would not have the beautiful halfmoons that we do today.
Rosetails are just as important to the halfmoon line as DT's, whether some know it or not. I also don't think that the RT mutation is as bad as the DT when it comes to producing deformed fish. It's almost guaranteed in a DT spawn to get at least some bent spines but in a RT to HM cross you can have an entire spawn with no deformities.
IMHO people are jumping the gun on the RT and I am happy to fill the void till everyone else catches on to the importance of the RT.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Like me, many have gotten severe RT and have had bad experience. I am truly afraid to breed RT. I would breed other deformities. I believe that other deformities are easier to breed out or only have very little affect on the whole batch. So I can understand why they're against breeding RT..... better safe than sorry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #20 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Like me, many have gotten severe RT and have had bad experience. I am truly afraid to breed RT. I would breed other deformities. I believe that other deformities are easier to breed out or only have very little affect on the whole batch. So I can understand why they're against breeding RT..... better safe than sorry.

That's what makes the betta hobby so fun and diverse. With so many different breeders/genetics and different idea's, the bettas just get better and better and more diverse.