Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #41 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't be surprised if one day a chicken shows up suing her for identity theft.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #42 
Sena Hansler

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #43 
bettalover2033

Oh wow. I think that can get annoying, but it's okay..
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

lol my guinea's wheeking can sometimes get annoying. But...all well =D
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #45 
RayneForhest

I went back to the pet store today... and while all the other cuys were a little skittish... "Wheeky" was not afraid to approach me or my son. I would have taken him home RIGHT THEN!!! Except I have no where at this time to take him home to.
MAYBE in 3-4 weeks we will be set up at our new place. The sooner the better.

Does anyone have success with just one cuy at a time? I'm hesitant about getting more than one... but if I have to I will
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #46 
Sena Hansler

bahaha like bettas...can YOU have just one? :3 lol. lol I have not heard the word cuy used for guineas :o I call 'em cavys. Or giant hamsters.

I have 6...including a foster smooth haired who was someone's fad before, and old man Shaggy. After them, no more to my group. If you give attention to guineas, stick them say...high traffic area... so, near the kitchen (be warned.... they are fridge alarms, and grocery alarms...and bag alarms....and sight alarms...), living room, etc, they prefer that then a secluded quite room. I have mine in a secluded room, because we weren't using it anyways, and there's more guinea :p They just want attention - being very social animals hehe. And yes. it is so hard for me, to go "awww it was abandoned...cannot take it." :/
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #47 
RayneForhest

I bet!

Cuy is the peruvian word for them. I saw an episode of either with either Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmerman on the travel channel and that's what they were called in their native country because of the noise they make... and I just thought it sounded so cute... so ever since, they've been cuyies to me.

With all the changes going on with my family right now, I'm not sure if I want to take on ANOTHER animal. After all ... I will be getting prolly some more chickens and some goats. I already have 5 chickens, a cat, two snails, a pet potbellied pig, two rabbits, and a dog... MY DAUGHTERS BOYFRIEND just bought her a chocolate lab! He didnt even ask if she could have one... I told him I would have to meet the dog and make sure she gets along with all my other animals and passes a temperament test. BUT that will be a commitment and a handful all in itself.

...but I *really* wanted that Wheeker
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #48 
Sena Hansler

yikes! Lol. Well, with one guinea, it's fairly easy to clean... if you give them more space, unlike those glorified litter boxes with a cage top... 20.00 for those c%c pieces, in furniture or housewares section of walmart and other stores =D 12 pieces!!

laying down fleece over newspaper is cheaper, and you just beat the fleece outside, wash, dry, put back =D That's what I do hehe. So much easier. no savings :3 Just in case your temptation suckers you in to the cavy world....haha
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #49 
RayneForhest

That's a really good idea about the newspaper and fleece.

My husband would be building the cage. I read on the ASPCA care info that each guinea pig needs 4 square feet of cage.... solid bottom... sides need to be breathable.

Glorified litter boxes... I like that. That's pretty accurate. I hate seeing animals improperly housed. The ones at the pet store are pretty pitifully housed. So that makes me want to take one home that much more.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #50 
Sena Hansler

I do have one medium-ish cage, that came with Squeak. Old cages should b wron by the acid in pee and wear, but , not brand new!!!! however, I may use it for Skinny Piggie temporarily :) Although, maybe check your spca for guineas who need some luvin's :( there's many here...older, but forgotten.