Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

My new 55 Gallon "build" thread

So I am setting up my new 55 gallon for a sorority to hold my new fry. I want to do a heavily planted aquascape. It needs to be one of a kind though, I am sure of that. Name:  new 022.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  50.7 KB
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2 
Stormy27

wow thats really big. What types of fish are you going to put in it? i love the dead wood, but i only have a 5 so i can't get one.
Good luck and i'm sure it's going to be a great set up
Stormy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Here is a link to my 55gal NPT soil based (Natural planted tank)-maybe this will give you some ideas since you want plants
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915

What kind of lights do you have, also, what direction are the windows -NPT love natural light......

So much fun setting up a tank...what kind of plants do you have or plan to get.....

I am sure you have hickory trees in your area....go for a walk in the woods and look for some interesting looking hickory branches/logs that have naturally dried and de-barked...makes great wood for a tank that you can tie java moss, java fern on....

Look forward to watching you set this tank up and stock.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy27 View Post
wow thats really big. What types of fish are you going to put in it? i love the dead wood, but i only have a 5 so i can't get one.
Good luck and i'm sure it's going to be a great set up
Thanks! I am gonna do a betta sorority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Here is a link to my 55gal NPT soil based (Natural planted tank)-maybe this will give you some ideas since you want plants
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915

What kind of lights do you have, also, what direction are the windows -NPT love natural light......

So much fun setting up a tank...what kind of plants do you have or plan to get.....

I am sure you have hickory trees in your area....go for a walk in the woods and look for some interesting looking hickory branches/logs that have naturally dried and de-barked...makes great wood for a tank that you can tie java moss, java fern on....

Look forward to watching you set this tank up and stock.....
Wow your tank is gorgeous!! That's exactly what I want. I have been making lists of plants to get .Do you have any tips on good plants? This will be my first planted tank so I need all the help I can get .
Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

i can't wait to see how your tank progresses! keep us posted, i know i'm gonna be checking back here all the time, lol
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Plant list is endless.....what is your substrate plan

Lights are one of the most important aspect.....most planted tanks fail due to the wrong lights and the proper lights don't have to break the bank either.....I use shop light ($10.00) over my big tanks and bulbs I get in the lighting dept "Daylight" 6500K 40w for $7.00 for 2 tubes-I use 2-4 tubes over my big tanks on a 12h/day photoperiod and change my bulbs every 12 months...since you have a nice big window...I would also use natural sunlight for added light-once the tank is balanced and you have lots of active plant growth...you won't have algae problems....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 
upngo

This is just up my street. Let's hope you don't fill it with plastic ornaments and allot of toys. You say its going to be a planted tank, so I guess you won't :)
upngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Ok I am sorry this took me sooooo long! I have been CRAZY busy lately starting a new company setting up a website and doing all the work on my own. So here is the set up

Adding water to the tank is hard without this pot, the sand can move away exposing the soil underneath. (not good) Some people use a plate but I found a pot was WAY better.
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  46.1 KB

Finally full! This took forever! I took water from my other 55 gallon tanks so that it would already be cycled.
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  42.5 KB

I took my filters off of my other 55 gallon tanks and put them on this one to speed up the cycle of the tank. I left them on for about 8 hours or till the tank was 90% clear.
Name:  005.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB

Mostly cycled tank ready for fish.
Name:  009.jpg
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Size:  50.6 KB

Bag O bettas ready for their new home.
Name:  012.jpg
Size:  39.4 KB

Happy betta fry in his/her new tank
Name:  013.jpg
Size:  76.6 KB
Video of the tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aIh...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 
Wolfie305

Sooo awesome.

I never actually knew how big a 55gal tank was until I went to PetSmart yesterday o pick up stuff for my goldies.....which will need a tank this size soon. My mouth it the floor. I am so excited xD
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #10 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Sooo awesome.

I never actually knew how big a 55gal tank was until I went to PetSmart yesterday o pick up stuff for my goldies.....which will need a tank this size soon. My mouth it the floor. I am so excited xD
Oh yea they are a lot of fun!