Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

That looks like a pretty standard one, Kelsey. Hagen is a trusted brand of aquarium equipment.

Mike, I seem to recall hearing that the bubbles should be just small enough that as they rise to the surface you should be able to just barely make out the shape of the bubble. I can't remember exactly where I heard that, tho. It's how I run my bubble filters.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #12 
Wolfie305

Yes! I believe it's the same brand as my heater, which was recommended by many people on this forum. So that's why I snagged it. I'm worried about the reviews saying it was loud, but I can't imagine it being any louder than my airstone? (that's loud). I'll turn it off at night if that's the case though.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

My bubble filters sound ... well... like bubblers. I've gotten use to the noise, but it does take some time.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #14 
sparkyjoe

Can you risk turning off a filter on a regular basis without possibly having a die off of the good bacteria. Or does submersion in the tank protect the little buggers?
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #15 
freemike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=blV6gNSfGGY

Call me stupid but is this enough?
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #16 
Bombalurina

It's not a good idea to turn filters on and off. During the off period, the good bacteria starts to die off due to lack of water movement, so each time you do that you push the cycle back a little further.

I have mine in my bedroom. Since I don't have a check valve it's on full and still isn't that noisy. You can hear it, but it isn't bad.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Your bubbling looks perfect, Mike. That's about the level I have it on mine.

I don't think turning it off at night is a good idea. As Bomba said the nitrifying bacteria need good water and oxygen flow to survive. I wouldn't want to risk my cycle and turn it off.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I notice my air pump more than I do any of my filters, sponge or otherwise. A big chunk of my tanks (I think 20?) are in my room and the noise the sponge filters make is really only audible at night. However, honestly, you get used to it pretty quick and I barely notice mine nowadays.

There is though, nothing worse than waking up with that "I need to pee now!" feeling because the water level has dropped in your tank and your filter is trickling.

Don't turn filters on/off. It defeats the purpose of having a filter unless you only require it for water circulation.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #19 
wystearya

I have a sponge filter in my 5 gallon (it's actually rated for up to 10 gallons) and I think it is very quiet! I watched the video and I think I have a few more bubbles going through mine, but honestly you can hardly hear them! I also got a Tetra Whisper air pump, and it makes very little noise. Just a low hum.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #20 
Wolfie305

I believe I have the Tetra Whisper air pump and by god it's loud. I think it's the air bubbles more than it is the pump, so maybe I'll get a valve to turn the bubbles off considering they would be coming from the same pump as the sponge filter.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote