Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 
TheDevonFox

Angry Why won't you eat?

SO, as many of you may know, I've only had my Loki for two days now, and as of today, have finally settled him into the tank he will be living in from now on! And even though I've tried at least three times throughout the day to feed him, I haven't seen him eat at all! And now that I'm exhausted and need to go to bed, he won't come out of his sweet new favorite hiding spot for me to even TRY to feed him!

Is this something that he will grow out of, or should I be concerned? I don't want to starve him just because I haven't set up an eating time with him and I just can't catch him when he's willing to eat!
TheDevonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #2 
Myates

It can take some bettas weeks before they start to eat healthy and normally.. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, as you just got him into his new home. He won't starve himself to death as long as he is pretty much healthy over all.

What are you trying to feed him? I have found that when it comes to very picky or odd eaters (I have my share of them), they tend to love and will jump for Omega One Betta Buffet pellets (live foods as well, but sometimes that isn't an option for an every-meal sort of thing). I don't think I have yet to hear of anyone who's picky eaters didn't like Omega One. New Life Spectrum is also a big hit with them.. Some pellets just don't taste good, and they may not be used to what you are trying to offer.

Continue to work on getting him to eat pellets, offer a couple times a day and make sure to remove any uneaten shortly after feeding- it will start to foul up the water, once their processed foods hit water they immediately start to break down it's nutrition, so when food is left in the water too long, it really is not offering them anything but empty calories. Plus, he won't go and snack on it later, making him more hungry when it's time to eat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #3 
TheDevonFox

I've got him some flakes, which he had been spitting out, so I went back to Petco and bought the pellets that they had been feeding him before I got him. And how do I go about cleaning up the uneaten food? Most of it sinks to the bottom of the tank, and somewhat into the gravel.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #4 
MysticMuffin

If the food is still floating at the top, just scoop it out. Just keep an eye on him while you're feeding him and if he doesn't seem interested just take it out. My little CT took about 2ish weeks before he started eating. In comparison to my VT who started eating as soon as I got him. If the food goes to the bottom, whenever you do your 50% water change, just stir up the gravel and catch whatever you see with a cup or net =]
MysticMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Make sure to remove that uneaten food within 24 hours to prevent it fouling the water. Gravel siphons are great.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Turkey baster.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 
Sheldon31

I use a turkey baster to clean the food out of mine. My snail eats a lot of it before I get chance to usually but whatever he doesn't eat within 10 minutes I either stir up the gravel and scoop it out with a fine net or get the baster out. Also handy for getting poop out of the tanks too. My mother in laws betta didn't eat for a few days while Kyon chomps anything and everything and did from day 2. I didn't feed on day 1 because I was fasting my tetras on that day and the pet store had already fed him. Give him some time and soon he'll be munching.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #8 
TheDevonFox

He's not only started eating, but, he's begun to get excited about it! Though, I'm worried he may be a little slow... Whenever he tried to suck in a pallet, sometimes he doesn't actually get it, but he still acts as though he had and makes the swallowing motions and everything. It's adorable, and pretty funny yo see.

Also, the turkey baster idea is brilliant! I'll head to the store today and pick one up, so that I'm not using our kitchen's one XD

Now, I'm interested in the idea of having a snail. What kind of snail would I want to get for Loki's tank?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 
Sheldon31

My snail was a stowaway in the plants I bought. He's a pond snail who've I've quite taken to. Apple snails are cute but they grow huge so would probably need a fairly large tank too. I love the assasin snails, not sure how big they grow but they look gorgeous. Glad that Loki has started eating :) Kyon gets very excited during feeding time to the point he flares at his food. I definitely reccomend frozen Daphnia or bloodworm as a weekly treat. My tetras go crazy for it! My lfs has just started selling live food so gonna try that soon.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #10 
Micho

Well, how big is your tank? I wouldn't recommend a snail with your Betta in any tank that's under 5g.

If you do get a snail, I recommend a Nerite snail, these buggers can't reproduce unless they're in brackish water, which is great. Don't want snails taking over your tank.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote