Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
KylaFaye

Emergency, Getting worse :' (

So my Betta was a little bloated last week, he seemed slower. He was only in a gallon tank, I got a 2 gallon tank, and a heater and moved him into there. I also fasted him for two days. He is getting worse and is now only staying at the top of his tank not really moving. It also seems like he might be a little crooked which I read could maybe be swim Blatter disease. I did a 1/2 water change today and he is doing no better. I really don't want him to die but i don't know what else to do. I feel so guilty because I got him to give him a better life and he certainly isn't happy or seemingly healthy. Any help would be great... Please and thank you!

Here is i picture, i couldn't really get a good one of what his shape really looks like.
Attached Images

KylaFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
gabrielle09

Does he have any other symptoms because I just had a betta doing a similar thing...staying at the top of the tank and her tummy was a little bloated. She ended up having velvet disease. But there are so many things it could be at this point you should check him over with a flashlight and see if there is anything wrong with his scales or gills.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #3 
KylaFaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle09 View Post
Does he have any other symptoms because I just had a betta doing a similar thing...staying at the top of the tank and her tummy was a little bloated. She ended up having velvet disease. But there are so many things it could be at this point you should check him over with a flashlight and see if there is anything wrong with his scales or gills.
It looks like there may be some gold stuff by one of his gills but it is hard to tell, from what i looked up that could be velvet. How did you go about treating your fish? Thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
gabrielle09

I bought aquarium salt and a product called stress coat plus as well as something called paraguard. I added the salt and stress coat to the water and kept my girl in a dark spot of the house. If it is velvet the disease spreads more rapidly if there is a light on so if you keep the light off the fish has a better chance of survival. For an hour a day I would bath her in the paraguard. I just added it to the tank she was in and then prepared a new one with the salt and stress coat. I've been doing this routine for a week now and I was told that I have to keep it up for about 10 days and then moniter my baby to make sure the velvet is gone. It is a lot of work to constantly be going between two tanks everyday but I saw improvement within the first two days. And paraguard treats more than velvet. It helps with fin rot and parasites and can even get rid of fungus. It's my new favourite medicine when pristine water isn't good enough.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #5 
gabrielle09

Also I should explain that velvet attacks the gills and internal organs. So the aquarium salt makes it easier for the fish to breathe. If it gets to the later stages of velvet like it did with my little purple fish he was gasping for air. At the time I didn't know what disease it was so I just learned as I went. Watch your betta's scales closely because with velvet they can start to peel and discolour and sometimes it is hard to see the gold dust that covers their bodies depending on the colour of the fish. I actually didn't see it until about a day before my little purple guy died and by the time I realized it was velvet it was too late to save him. Another sign that it could be velvet is if the fish has stopped eating and his fins are clamped shut. That could also mean stress which can be fixed by using stress coat but it is a good sign to watch out for.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #6 
KylaFaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle09 View Post
Also I should explain that velvet attacks the gills and internal organs. So the aquarium salt makes it easier for the fish to breathe. If it gets to the later stages of velvet like it did with my little purple fish he was gasping for air. At the time I didn't know what disease it was so I just learned as I went. Watch your betta's scales closely because with velvet they can start to peel and discolour and sometimes it is hard to see the gold dust that covers their bodies depending on the colour of the fish. I actually didn't see it until about a day before my little purple guy died and by the time I realized it was velvet it was too late to save him. Another sign that it could be velvet is if the fish has stopped eating and his fins are clamped shut. That could also mean stress which can be fixed by using stress coat but it is a good sign to watch out for.
Thank you so much for the info i really appreciate it. I am pretty positive it's velvet because he also stopped eating and used to be a pig, he even ate this morning fine. He also has his fins shut. Unfortunately I don't think it's gunna be possible for me to treat him they way you are able to with your guy, I simply don't have the time... : ( What about an anti fungal and parasite medication? I don't live close to the pet store but at my local grocery store I found a bottle of one, however it doesn't say it treats velvet and i don't want to make him worse by treating him with it... do you think it would be detrimental to use an ick treatment for ick and other fungus and parasites?
Again thank you just for taking the time to answer me.. I really care about my little fish and I just want to save him if i can.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #7 
gabrielle09

Well when my guy first got velvet I thought it was ick because at the very beginning of velvet they can break out in white spots similar to ick. I guess the white spots for velvet are smaller but I didn't realize that at the time. I treated my guy with ick medicine for a week and it did nothing so I would say to probably not waste your money. I have definately learned my lesson... I keep all the medication on hand now. I have stuff for ick and parasites and velvet because I can't always make it to the pet store either. My boyfriend just hates our late night runs to Wal-mart or our local pet store when my fish come down with something. Why do they always do it when I have to work the next day or when all the stores close? I swear they do it on purpose to annoy me. I even have an encyclopedia of betta diseases now that I refer to all the time. I would try to get to your local pet store as soon as you can because a fish can only live with velvet for up to three weeks maybe a little longer if they were in top condition when they got sick and if you keep them in the dark. My purple fish made it three and half weeks and my girl had it for four before I realized she had the same thing. It was just lucky I was in the middle of upgrading my light system for my tanks or both of them would be dead instead of just one. Until you can get to the pet store do a 100% water change everyday so that way you can get as many parasites out of the water as you can. They go through the same cycle as ick so after about 24 hours they become free swimming so if you change the water you kill some of the parasites. Also try not to have too much contact with the water or fish with your bare hands because I read velvet can spread to humans. And if you do use bare hands wash them immediately after you are done with the tank. I don't know how true it is about the disease spreading to humans but on a lot of the sites I looked at it said to take precautions.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #8 
KylaFaye

I will absolutely take your advice, thank you so much, I know my boyfriend already feels the same way lol. I guess I should just be happy that I can do something, and that my other Betta is happy and thriving. Again thank you so much for you time and advice, you are like a Betta angel lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #9 
gabrielle09

Oh you are too nice!!! I just went through the same thing so I figure I should share what I learned, that's all. I hope your guy gets better, I know watching my little purple fish die and not knowing what I could do to help him was the worst feeling in the world. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 
KylaFaye

He is doing much better today so hopefully this is a good sign! Thank you again so much!!