Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 
Flexxoo

Is it healthy for Bettas ?

IS it healthy for them to eat mosquito lava and such the little wriggly guys when they hatch from mosquito eggs ? will it cause them any harm or such.
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #2 
wystearya

I think some people do feed these, but I would personally be afraid of diseases or possible parasites.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 
Flexxoo

i was wondering about all of that too, :/
Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I feed massive amounts of mosquito larva and other little wiggly critters that I thought was mosquito larva but hatched into something else....

We had a mild winter and I have collected and fed wiggly critters all year and now that it has warmed up a lot.....I have thousands of wiggly critters that I have been feeding all my tanks for the past month or so and I will all summer...some of the fish will go into these containers later this year for the summer-either for breeding or mosquito control...

I use my large brine shrimp net and go around to all my containers outside-some of these container are pretty nasty and smell too.......I collect any moving wigglers/mosquito larva and place them in a small container of water
Once I have collected what I need-I rinse them well under running water and then place them in freshwater and use an eye dropper to feed to all my fish

I will pick out the really tiny ones for my Betta fry and some I will pour into the brine shrimp net to add to the tank of waiting fish....

I have been feeding mosquito larva, wiggly critters and critters I have no idea what they are to my fish for at least the past 12 years without any ill effect to the fish or inverts in my tanks.....

I have had some monster show up or what I call monster....dragonfly, damselfly nymps that will be missed by the fish and later grow up in my tanks....since my tanks are really heavy planted they can be missed for awhile or until I start to notice missing fish....these guys can do some damage...but I actively look for them.....this is the only problem I have ever had with feeding critters I collect in my outside water container.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

If you are certain your state/country/town does not spray pesticides (and even herbicides if you wanna be extra cautious) then it should be fine. last year was HORRIBLE for mosquitos. they usually send us dragonfly larvae to lower the mosquito population. but until then, I smacked those buggers and fed the bigger ones to males, smaller one to females and I had zero problems. plus, gnats and stuff fall into tanks and get nommed on without you knowing
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 
Flexxoo

awesome because we have this huge fountain in my yard >.< and sometimes when its off for even 1-2days because it uses so much water hey will breed in it so i was wondering ok i guess my guys will start getting some good Protein XD

maybe it would be nice for them instead of the dry foods every now and then because where i live i cant get live blood worms or shrimp brine :(

thank you guys so much :)

Last edited by Flexxoo; 03-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 
kfryman

Yup totally safe. It is a good food source for them and hey it is free. I think I will actually try and collect some today if it is not raining too hard.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

If it's in your back garden, you can generally trust that it is safe since you know what chemicals etc are being sprayed around. :) My guys love mosquitos or larvae fresh from the backgarden. And little spiders, too.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

some people feed worms... I dunno about them, but just throwing it out there xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 
Myates

LOVE fresh, live food for mine.. LOVE it, and so do they. Generally when you set up your own "buffet bucket" you will know how safe it is- it's your water, the leaves/twigs/dirt you've collected you know where it is from. I don't like feeding wild adult mosquito, but I do.. I just don't like to think of who/what they were feeding on prior. But even then it's safe.. that's just my personal ick-ness. But my little ones don't care as long as it is dropped into their tank!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote