Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 
Betta16

Post Sand for the Tank?

Ok i dont know if this has bin talked about befor or not but i could not fain anything when i looked.

I would like to know what poeple think about putting sand in the bottom of the betta tank, i have only used glass stones(rounded) or marbels befor. Im thinking about doing this to is a 5g and a 10g showtanks that my fish are only in for about 5-9days at a time it wont be they full time home i dont think. so i wont be putting in a filter pump in these. (this is just a consepted so please dont go crazzy about filters and how inportant they are, i care for my fish very much and if these become full time homes i well put in filters)

My biggest consurn is are there any set back to the bettas from useing sand, iv heard that sand is hard on some fish.

also what if any plants would you recomend for asand bottom tank.

ty all for your time and input
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #2 
jasonh
Banned

i've never used sand but i've heard other people say that harmful gasses can build up in the sand and you have to comb it around on a regular basis
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 
newarkhiphop

I use sand in my one gallon critter keeper now, its OK, omelet doesnt sem to mind it
as far as cleaning its a bit more annoying , and as far there health yea hazardous gases build up so you have comb the sand , i do it after each feeding

alll and all if could i wouldnt use it again
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm.. I have sand and so far I love it.
For show, light and dark coloured sand has to be cleaned a lot, because it is very easy to see any sort of debris on it. I think most plants will accept sand, though some may need fertilization in it.. It's a must for any burrowing fish like cories or loaches. Betta do good in sand too. IMO, I think they'd get snagged on a piece of gravel much more easily than on a sand bottom.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #5 
tiffanini

Most of the time, sand can be cleaner than gravel because if the sand is settled, the debris and waste from fish lays on top and can easily be siphoned away.
tiffanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I have sand in my 16 gallon. I like it, although with all the fish I have it does tend to look dirty pretty quickly. I wish I get get hold of black sand instead.

It's not a case of combing your sand the way you might in a zen garden - you actually need to poke it and stir it around to disturb all the layers. Just wanted to make that clear in case there was any confusion. :)

The best plants for a sand tank are going to be those that don't need to root - anubias, java fern and java moss are good starting points. Others, like anacharis and hornwort that really get no nutrients from the substrate, are also good. :) Don't choose plants that are heavy root feeders and need a nutrient rich substrate.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think with root feeders they'd benefit from a fertilizer tab that you poke underneath them?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

They would indeed. :)
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #9 
bankruptjojo

sand doesn't hold any beneficial bacteria so you need a filter if you cycle, a lil fyi. i had a sand and wanted to do plants so i took it out of my 20g long and put eco complete. i love the looks even if you dont put plants it looks nice and you might want to add some plants later.

i have heard of bettas eating sand and dying. i did see mine take a mouth full of sand sometimes but spit most of it out. had sand for bout 5 months and no one died so.... just though id let you know what i read.
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

That's not entirely true, Jojo. Like all surfaces in a fishtank, sand does hold some beneficial bacteria. It's just that a filter holds about 90% of the bacteria - substrate and decorations hold the rest.

I, too, have heard of piggy bettas choking on sand, but again, I've never had it happen to me.

Tags
homes, sand substrate, substrate, tank decor