Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #1 
Hazell

Question Heaters

Its Autumn here is Aus, 5 of my tanks are un-heated but the bettas are healthy and active, eating well and playful. But winter here got to about 12-20 degrees Celsius, pretty nippy for the little critters. So hmmm, I need some heaters don;t I? Man the betta heaters in the pet stores are about $10, thats $50! D: Dilemma Dilemma! But, In my spare time, on cold days I get heater packs in towels wrap them around the tanks & single 4 gallon bowl they are warm enough at a nice 26-27 Degrees celsius. I also get warm water and add about 1/4 of a litre of warm water to there tanks. All seem fine but none have done a winter unheated. Hmmm, they are tough little guys, and girl. Well at least I can use the spwn tank heater for Senjii, He has the biggest tank.
Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

You kind of have to suck it up when it comes to the cost of the heaters. I bought 4 heaters already for a grand total of $70. It's just necessary to keep your little guy happy.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1. Yes, fishkeeping stuff here is expensive, but if you want to keep fish it is a necessary cost.
Heater packs and warm water changes are not going to be enough - they cause fluctuating temperatures as opposed to steady ones.

If you are a breeder, why don't you set up a hot room to keep them all in? After all, you need a way to keep all the individual male tanks warm.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 
Laki

10$ is pretty cheap for a heater! You don't have to buy them all at once either. But I'm pro heater for steady temps.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote