Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
SweetNightmare

Considering a Planted Tank

So, since I already have a betta in my possession, I would like the cycling of my ten gallon that I'm getting tomorrow to be as quick as possible. To me, that means it's time to consider a planted tank. Plus, I love the look.

First, I'm getting my tank at Petsmart, so I've looked into what beginner plants they have(using my own research). I'm thinking I'll go with anacharis(since it's apparently good at sucking up ammonia) and java fern(since it's apparently easy to care for). Then I was going to place an order with my job for some java moss, because I love the look moss gives to a tank. However, I have some questions.

When cleaning the tank, how does one go about cleaning the substrate if you have rooted plants? I'd like to root at least some anacharis, since I'll have to tether the fern. Do you just clean around them? I'm going to have sand substrate, so I'm pretty nervous about cleaning it at all, but in theory, how do you planted people do it?

Second, I'm choosing these plants cause they can thrive in low light according to the stickied guide, and the tank I'm getting has LED lights. ((I live with the boyfriend and his family, so keeping the energy draw low is imperative.)) Will they be okay with the LED? They'll be in my sink area, so they'll get a bathroom-like light, but not any sunlight, as there are no windows.

Third, I'm going to be putting cories in the tank. Will they eat my plants? Or will they be okay together?

Thanks in advance. :)
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
SweetNightmare

I no longer need to fast cycle a tank. I found Zero dead, stuck in the makeshift house I'd given him. I feel stupid.

Anyways, some general info about cycling with plants and cories with plants would still be welcome. I'm going to keep on truckin', because I guess we all screw up in the beginning. It's just jarring that in the fish world even the tiniest mistake can cause the death of a pet.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 
mcdeezy25

one of the most fundamental rules of keeping a good planted tank is having good substrate. since you're wanting to expedite the cycling process i would replace any gravel/substrate you have with eco complete by CaribSea. it comes wet with some beneficial bacteria already in the bag and your plants will thrive off the added nutrients. google takashi amano for some inspiring examples of what a planted tank could be.
as far as gravel vacuuming goes, i would do it sparingly. if you have a heavily planted tank not at all especially if you have carpeting plants like baby tears or micro swords. if not you can just uproot your plants while you vacuum and replant them.
mcdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
SweetNightmare

I'm avoiding CaribSea as I'm getting cory catfish to live with my betta, and I've heard that brand is particularly bad. I don't know how heavy three or four plants counts as for a ten gallon, but only two are 'plantable' so to speak, as in the substrate. I am using aquatic sand as substrate though, which I've heard is good for cories and plants alike. I don't need an accelerated cycle like before, as my first betta has passed on, but my impatient nature and love of a natural look still wants to do planted, especially since beginner plants are cheap, hardy, and easy to care for. I'm also considering Water Wisteria.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
So, since I already have a betta in my possession, I would like the cycling of my ten gallon that I'm getting tomorrow to be as quick as possible. To me, that means it's time to consider a planted tank. Plus, I love the look.
Planted tanks are wonderful and addictive. You won't regret it. :)

First, I'm getting my tank at Petsmart, so I've looked into what beginner plants they have(using my own research). I'm thinking I'll go with anacharis(since it's apparently good at sucking up ammonia) and java fern(since it's apparently easy to care for). Then I was going to place an order with my job for some java moss, because I love the look moss gives to a tank. However, I have some questions.
The three of these are great plants. :)

When cleaning the tank, how does one go about cleaning the substrate if you have rooted plants? I'd like to root at least some anacharis, since I'll have to tether the fern. Do you just clean around them?
Precisely. :)

I'm going to have sand substrate, so I'm pretty nervous about cleaning it at all, but in theory, how do you planted people do it?
You need to stir it up once a week or so to prevent gas pockets forming. When cleaning it, just hover the gravel vacuum above it to suck up dirt without sucking up sand. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. :) Don't worry about a nutrient rich substrate - anacharis simply doesn't need it. It is a water column feeder - mine grows well in my cruddy gravel, and also floating. :)

Second, I'm choosing these plants cause they can thrive in low light according to the stickied guide, and the tank I'm getting has LED lights. ((I live with the boyfriend and his family, so keeping the energy draw low is imperative.)) Will they be okay with the LED? They'll be in my sink area, so they'll get a bathroom-like light, but not any sunlight, as there are no windows.
They'll be fine. My anacharis grows fine in a no-light tank, actually. It sometimes gets indirect sunlight, but that's it. Just don't expect wild crazy growth. :)

Third, I'm going to be putting cories in the tank. Will they eat my plants? Or will they be okay together?
They'll be fine. :) They may uproot your plants as they whiffle around in the sand, so buy the anacharis well. They uprooted all my chain sword, the little darlings, but then, I didn't plant it very well.

Thanks in advance. :)
Hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 
SweetNightmare

Thanks. :) I might get some small polished rocks to tie them to, then bury in the sand, so if the cories dig nearby, they won't uproot them. I may have to move sand back in place, but it'll keep the plant from being moved around. And since I already have some fake plants(silk of course, with a few soft plastic accents here and there, nothing too hard) low growth rate isn't a problem. :) And if I want to boost it a little, I'll set up my 2.5 with whatever plant on a window sill to get it some direct sun; no shortage of that in Texas! I've never been good with delicate plants, but hardy starter plants, I can definitely do.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
SweetNightmare

Alright, I got two small java ferns, two water wisterias, and an anacharis. The last of them doesn't look so good, really pale leaves, but I'm hoping with some good plant food and a source of ammonia it'll perk right up. :) Cross your fingers for me!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Fingers crossed! It's paleness may also be due to dodgy lighting.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #9 
SweetNightmare

Got the tank set up, and I think it looks great! I'll upload pics tomorrow. :) The plants have some filling out to do, and I have my doubts about the two java ferns I got(they don't look so hot, but maybe they'll do better with some tlc). I also put in my three fake silk plants, and a rock shaped fish cave. Sora, the new betta, will be introduced hopefully tomorrow, if everything is still going well. I do worry that the current will be too strong for him, and a baffle doesn't fit the filter with the hood... But crossing fingers that it'll be okay.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Can't wait for pictures! :)