Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #31 
lvandert

Yeah they start out tiny (like 1 foot and no fatter than your finger) and grow to 4 ft
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #32 
betta lover1507

they are not thick really, around 4-6 feet or so, rarley they tend to get bigger from the scale. but i got an awesome pic of durgo now since i got my SD card to work, fancy pix:

you could see his gorgeous green eyes here:

my dad plans to get another pair of pastels, male and female. they should be already adults. and we prob kit (sorry if i spelled it wrong) yesterday, and we probed the pinstripe it appeared to be male. so there going to work with the pinstripe to probably to get him to spawn next or this year.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #33 
bettafish15

My supplies are here! (The heat mat, hides, screen lid, ect.) I just have to wait to pick it up. It'll be a big box I bet (try saying that three times fast! XD) so it's not going to be fun carrying it all the way home since our little suv is dead xP I'll post pics when I get the stuff!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #34 
betta lover1507

haha
do you have the tank/cage? or it's coming by shipping?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #35 
bettafish15

I wish I could get big tanks by shipping! Haha, I already got the tank, I'll take pics of that too. :D I use it as a hamster runabout. After we take off the stupid overflow box, I'm going to give the tank another good clean to get the hamster smell out. :)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #36 
betta lover1507

is the corn your getting a adult, juvenile, hatchling? am just curious
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #37 
bettafish15

A hatchling, I'll be getting it as soon as it eats pretty much :D I reserved a Normal female, since that was cheapest, but if something around the same price catches my eye I'll get it ^^ Today, I sadly could not make it to the post office to pick up the package, as the weather was too bad. The package woulda been soaked, and I cant imagine how fun it would be carrying a possibly 4 foot long package in the wind and rain all the way home, LOL! The screen lid is 48 x 13 inches which is why I say 4 feet. I WILL upload pictures of the tank tonight though!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #38 
pittipuppylove

Hm... I hope you're not too set on that gender. Babies can be tricky to sex even to the most experienced herpers. With the cage, I wouldn't recommend something that big for awhile for a few different reasons. A hatchling can get stressed in a big cage, and stressed herps are less likely to eat. Large cages make it hard for tiny hatchlings to find hides, water, ect., also causing stress. Depending on what substrate you choose, it can be darn near impossible to find a hatchling in a smaller enclosure, let alone a big one - it's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I'd recommend using a ten gallon, large/XL Critter Keeper, or rubbermaid shoebox untill the little guy gets a bit bigger.

And just a tip - ask to see your baby eat before you take her home (or maybe a day or two before so her stomach can settle a bit after the meal before you move her) and ask how many meals she's been offered/taken and what they were. The more info you can get, the better - good breeders keep logs on almost everything they do with their animals. If you can get a copy of the record for the baby you take home, do it - this info can be extremely helpful in getting hatchlings to eat.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #39 
bettafish15

Naw, not too set on the gender. However, I cannot afford to buy two set-ups. I intend to stuff the tank with hides though, and I'll add an extra water dish, so don't worry. I'm going to use Aspen shavings, as I use it for my hamster anyways so it's more worth it for me to get the big bags. :) I don't mind having to fish him out, that's why I want a normal and not a snow, LOL! Orange is easier to see!

I definitely will make sure to ask for it's feeding info. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Hm... I hope you're not too set on that gender. Babies can be tricky to sex even to the most experienced herpers. With the cage, I wouldn't recommend something that big for awhile for a few different reasons. A hatchling can get stressed in a big cage, and stressed herps are less likely to eat. Large cages make it hard for tiny hatchlings to find hides, water, ect., also causing stress. Depending on what substrate you choose, it can be darn near impossible to find a hatchling in a smaller enclosure, let alone a big one - it's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I'd recommend using a ten gallon, large/XL Critter Keeper, or rubbermaid shoebox untill the little guy gets a bit bigger.

And just a tip - ask to see your baby eat before you take her home (or maybe a day or two before so her stomach can settle a bit after the meal before you move her) and ask how many meals she's been offered/taken and what they were. The more info you can get, the better - good breeders keep logs on almost everything they do with their animals. If you can get a copy of the record for the baby you take home, do it - this info can be extremely helpful in getting hatchlings to eat.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #40 
bettafish15

PICTURE TIME OF THE TANK! And my thermostat, LOL!