Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Female-Has eggs, but not breeding?

Okay, so I just got my first female this week, and today when I came back from a play tonight I noticed Winnipeg was swimming around her new silk plant I got her today, but around one particular area. Upon closer inspection I noticed what looks like eggs coming from her, and then she'd swim down and EAT them!

The interesting thing is, obviously, I have no intentions of breeding her. Then I realized what I did: when I cleaned her tank alongside Zamboni- my male- they were next to each other, in their cups, with "Daddy" (my boyfriend). He always keeps an eye on them while I'm cleaning tanks. This was the first day I cleaned both of their tanks at the same time.

So, after some research, I'm just making sure here: this is normal? Zamboni made her all... let's say.... "hot and bothered?" and she is producing unfertilized eggs?
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 
styggian

Yep, normal. Females can drop eggs for several reasons, either to be rid of them instead of reabsorbing them, or in the presence of a male. Even during breeding, she may drop eggs before they even start embracing.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 
Pucky21811

Okay, so it just happened cause she was near my Zambo. Thank you, no problems then. :)
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd try to keep that from happening again by not letting her see boys. I believe females can become egg-bound and die from not being able to release eggs.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 
Pucky21811

I'm sure its stressful and/or exhausting on her little body. It won't happen again. They stay on opposite sides of my bedroom, but today I half-mindedly put them next to each other, cause that's what I did when I only had two boys, so they could safely flare at each other and get some exercise (it also kept my boy from fin biting). So, of course by habit I put Winnipeg and Zamboni together to flare at each other (cause even Winnipeg is really fiesty). I see my mistake, I will not let that happen again. :3 Thank you you guys!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's funny that she got eggy so fast. Whenever I let my girl and boy look at each other through a cup for a few minutes they always just look at each other but that's never happened to me o-o
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
Myates

Females always carry eggs in them.. it's natural. They will reabsorb or drop them all the time- regardless where a male is present. You can't stop it, and you shouldn't stop it.. they need to either drop or reabsorb when the eggs enlarge. Egg bound is rare.. to help prevent it the best way is quality food and good water conditions.. that will help her reabsorb or drop.

I have females next to males all the time, and switch to see new/different ones weekly. I've bred many species of fish as well, and in the last 18 years have never had an egg bound fish.. a bird yes.. but not a fish. It's not common, and I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep in mind she will always have eggs in her, and sometimes they will grow whether or not she sees a male. So don't deny her a good session of exercise because of fear of binding :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Would you say males and females can share water through a divider? o.o