Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 
cataze

Exclamation Help! I think my fishless cycle stalled!!!

I'm on my 11th week of my fishless cycle. It's been a looong process, but as long as I saw progress in the time it took my tank to process ammonia, I stayed patient.

But now I think it may have stalled!!! It currently takes about 5 days for my tank to process about 2+ppm of ammonia. It was the same two weeks ago. It hasn't been speeding up like it used to.

I never saw NitrItes, but I think I missed the spike. I added Tetra SafeStart at the beginning...didn't help, but it may have done something so I didn't see any NitrItes.

My NitrAtes are through the roof...over 80ppm.

What should I do? Would a pwc do any good, or would it harm my cycle?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cate
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Tetra SafeStart and all those ´´accelerators`` dont work. They are completely different kinds of bacteries which will always die in some time if you dont keep adding more and more of it. By the way, I think you should drop some fish flakes in the water because the bacteries needs other things, not only ammonia (which the flakes have in its composition).
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

How much ammonia were you putting in originally?
It's been three weeks and my nitrites are up.. OD'ing the ammonia can stall a cycle. What temp is your water also?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
cataze

I started with 4ppm of ammonia, and now when it's down to 0ppm I redose to about 2ppm. My tank is @ 82F.

Thanks for the advice Fields. I'll add some fish flakes!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Do you have any nitrItes at all? If you have no nitrites or ammonia, but a high concentration of nitrates, you are cycled. Just do a large water change (75%, further changes if necessary) to bring the nitrates down. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #6 
cataze

No NitrItes. Never saw any. Ammonia is currently @ 0.25ppm down from the 2ppm I dosed on Monday. NitrAtes are over 80ppm.

By the way, it's a 20 gallon tank.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maybe the cycle restarted for some reason and the ammonia eaters died?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 
cataze

I hope the ammonia eaters didn't die off!!! It took me so long to get this far!

I just got thinking...I topped up the water when it had evapourated enough that the filter was making a lot of noise. Could this have done something to the water hardness or something to stall my cycle????

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should try a pwc???

Thanks,
Cate
Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #9 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Tetra SafeStart and all those ´´accelerators`` dont work. They are completely different kinds of bacteries which will always die in some time if you dont keep adding more and more of it. By the way, I think you should drop some fish flakes in the water because the bacteries needs other things, not only ammonia (which the flakes have in its composition).
Not true. The bacteria feeds off ammonia, hence why using pure ammonia works. They don't feed off the flakes themselves. Once the food begins to decompose and release ammonia, that is what the bacteria consumes.

It sounds cycled, but it also sounds like the bacteria needs to colonize a little more before it can consume the amount of ammonia you are adding within 24 hours.

What kind of filter are you using? I'm wondering if the bacteria doesn't have enough space.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #10 
cataze

I'm using a Penguin BioWheel 150. I've also got small gravel as a substrate, a bunch of silk plants, the BioWheel and filter cartridge for the bacteria to grow on.