Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 
Trochophore

My filter is really frustrating me D:

I just set up my filter that came with the Marineland Eclipse 3g, and the first thing I noticed is that it made a buzzing sound that would buzz for a few seconds, go away, and come back again. I didn't really mind it at first, but then I noticed that it was interfering with my heater!

I use the Elite 25W heater and I noticed that whenever the filter was making its buzzing noises, the pilot light on my heater was flickering in sync with the buzzing.

I have taken out the filter, took it apart, cleaned it, added more water... Nothing seems to be helping. Anyone have any other ideas?
Trochophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

could be your power source. turn the filter off and see if the heater still flickers....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #3 
Trochophore

I fiddled around with it for a bit trying different power combinations (filter only, heater only, different sockets since I used to have them both on the same extension cord...) seems like the problem definitely is the filter as it makes the sounds even without the heater, and it seems like it doesn't have to do with the power as it still buzzed when they were in different sockets.

However, I found that when I unplugged the filter and started it up again, the buzzing would go away for about a minute before it returned...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm, go for a refund...? It should have some kind of warranty on it right?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #5 
MysticMuffin

I remember when I was setting up a tank for my mom, the filter also made a weird sound. Apparently the cartridges weren't pushed all the way down when I had filled it with water (made them move outta place/pop up a little), so once I pushed them back down, the sound had stopped. I don't know if this is the same issue with you though :s
MysticMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 
Trochophore

Hmm seems like the buzzing went away magically while I was at school today. Thanks for all the suggestions though! Greatly appreciated :D