Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #11 
cataze

I wanted to add that I am going by the instructions that my cycle isn't complete until my tank will process a certain amount of ammonia within a 24 hour period. Right now it appears that my tank is processing somewhere around 0.25ppm or so in a 24 hour period. I'm under the impression that it should be able to process more...like about 2ppm. Am I correct in my line of thinking?

If I'm only going to be adding 1 Betta to start with, how much should my tank (20 gallons) be able to process in a 24 hour period?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

Last edited by cataze; 03-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #12 
cataze

Anyone?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #13 
cataze

Okay, here's where I'm at now:

Tested ammonia last night and it was pretty much down to 0ppm so I redosed with ammonia back up to about 2ppm.

NitrItes = 0ppm
NitrAtes = over 80ppm. It's such a dark red...can't tell exactly but definitely well over 80ppm!

The last time I dosed with ammonia up to about 2ppm it took 6 days to go back down to 0ppm.

What should I be doing? I'm really wondering if I should do a partial water change to get the NitrAtes down. They seem pretty high, though I'm a beginner so this whole thing makes me anxious!!!

I'm going to check my pH level tonight. When I started cycling it was around 8+pH. Not sure if I've changed that by topping off with tap water (conditioned of course) after so much evaporation. Could this mess with my cycle?

Thanks again. I don't know how I would do this without this forum!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #14 
LionCalie

It's my understanding that your tank is actually cycled when you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and high Nitrate. However, some people prefer to wait to add fish until the bacteria is able to consume 1 - 2 ppm of Ammonia within 24 hours. That way you know you have enough bacteria to handle a decent sized bio-load.

With that in mind, you are technically cycled. I actually think you could safely add a Betta now because their bio-load is relatively small. First you will need to remove the ammonia and lower the Nitrate level. Here is what I think you should do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahobby.com -Shawna McGregor-King
When your nitrites drop to zero AND your ammonia is zero, then your tank is cycled! Do a large water change, around 50% to 80%. Do not change any filter media, and do not vacuum the gravel during this water change. Refill with fresh, conditioned water, and lower your heater to 25C, or whatever temperature is best for the fish you intend to keep. Let everything chug for several hours or overnight. Test the water for both ammonia and nitrites again. If everything is still zero, the tank is cycled and you are ready to add fish!
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

I'm of the same mind as LionCalie - I'd call you cycled. The ability to process certain amounts of ammonia in a certain time will come as the tank becomes more established. :) Just add new fish slowly so you don't overload the biolfilter. :)

Do you have any live plants? They will help during this stage (a kind of secondary filtration).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think you need to do a WC before adding fish if your nitrates are at 80ppm :)

I don't think it needs to be 2ppm in 24 hours persay, just with a low amount of ammonia used, you can put in a smaller bioload at first.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #17 
cataze

Hi everyone!

I wanted to update you, but I just noticed that my last post isn't here . I posted from my cell phone, and I guess it didn't work. :(

Anyway, my last post was just thanking everyone for their help. Since I'm only adding my one Betta for my cycling 20gallon right now, I'm gonna go with what you're saying and consider it cycled. Wahoo! (of course I'll still be keeping a close eye on the ammonia level once I put him in there!)

Now for the update...I have been busy the last couple of days, but tonight I finally had time to do a large water change in my tank. I took out 50-60% of the water, and then refilled with treated same-temp water. I am going to wait a bit and then check the NitrAte levels to see how much they've gone down.

I added a little ammonia to feed the bacteria, since I'm not adding my fish yet. Don't want the bacteria to die now!!!

I'm hoping that the NitrAtes will be down to 40-50ppm...we'll see. I'll keep doing water changes until NitrAtes are low enough for my little guy. I can't wait to see him in the big tank! :)

I want to say thank you to everyone who's helped me. It's been a long 3 months cycling this tank. I'm a beginner to cycling, and to caring for a fish. I've had a lot of questions along the way, and have found so much help here. I honestly would have lost my mind if I didn't have anywhere to turn for help. I'm so glad I found this wonderful forum!