Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
New Tank :D Marineland Eclipse 6 System

Okay so I just got the 6 gallon eclipse tank off of craigslist. And I have a few questions. First , the light is blown out so I need to know what kind of light you would recommend for a 6 gallon tank ( specifically this tank if anyone has one) I want to have live plants and I already have a marimo so what wattage should I get? How have you found the filter in it. I have the option of using the built in filter or the elite stingray 5 that I have. The stingray is submersible and the built in is a bio wheel. I know people say don't use carbon, should I just fill the filter with medium like filter floss?

Besides this I would love to switch from glass marbles to sand as a substrate. I like the look of white or black sand, any recommendations brand wise? I want to do a nice scape with the sand then a few of the marbles as accents.

Speaking of landscaping, I want to try drift wood cause I found a store that sells the malaysian stuff ( might be mopian I dont remeber the name but I see if in tanks a lot) Anyways, how do you prep it for being in the tank do I need to boil it or anything?

I am so excited to start cycling this bad boy :D

When I have it all cycled I want to try my boy with a shrimp or 2 what species do you all suggest I try, I know ghost shrimp but would love a cherry one cause they are pretty.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #2 
EvilVOG
Member
 
EvilVOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit, Mi
this tank has the hood with the built-in light, right? I have a system 3 and it pretty much only took one very hard to find bulb.

according to my book you need a F8-T5 8 watt, mine with it's stock light does fine for the couple plants i have in it.

I love my 3... filter is quiet, a bit strong for a betta but my plants took care of that. Use the regular filter package and then leave it alone. My boy killed the GS i tried to keep him with, now he just lives with a couple snails.

I have some of that Malaysian driftwood. My guy said boil it or it will tan the water. I didn't mind the tanned water so i just stuck it in. It only tanned a little bit.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
this tank has the hood with the built-in light, right? I have a system 3 and it pretty much only took one very hard to find bulb.

according to my book you need a F8-T5 8 watt, mine with it's stock light does fine for the couple plants i have in it.

I love my 3... filter is quiet, a bit strong for a betta but my plants took care of that. Use the regular filter package and then leave it alone. My boy killed the GS i tried to keep him with, now he just lives with a couple snails.

I have some of that Malaysian driftwood. My guy said boil it or it will tan the water. I didn't mind the tanned water so i just stuck it in. It only tanned a little bit.
Yeah it has a built in light, it is just burnt out. I will check in the manual to find out what bulb. good call didn't even think of that. I hope I can find it somewhere... It didn't come with a filter package, just the wheel ( which I am going to replace. ) I am plannign on baffling the filter with some sponge in the intake pipe.

I will probably boil it but I hope I can find a great piece. Do you know is grapevine is safe to use? I do like the look of that as well.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 
sparkyjoe
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
So jealous!! I keep finding 2.5 gal tanks on my local Craigslist, but the one 5 gallon I found the guy has never contacted me so I assume it's gone. Sigh.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
So jealous!! I keep finding 2.5 gal tanks on my local Craigslist, but the one 5 gallon I found the guy has never contacted me so I assume it's gone. Sigh.
Mine is opposite I only ever find 10 and up ( usually about 33 ) I just looked like every day found a few 5 gals but they were super expensive, finally haggled this one from 50 to 35. Probably could have gone lower actually lol oh well. I never buy things new anymore haha rat cages or fish tanks : P not worth it.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #6 
sparkyjoe
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Yeah, I don't even know that I have ROOM for another tank, but if I found a super great deal I might have to do it. Just ask EvilVOG how many times I've had to tell myself that I *don't* have room to get two of his beautiful giant fry.

The last tank I got is a 5 gallon Hawkeye and I bought it on Amazon for like $25. It has a florescent light, hinged hood, and comes with a filter. All I would need is a heater, gravel, a new piece of pvc for a "cave" and some live plants. Oh, and the betta!

idonothaveroomidonothaveroomidonothaveroom!!!!!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #7 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
Yeah, I don't even know that I have ROOM for another tank, but if I found a super great deal I might have to do it. Just ask EvilVOG how many times I've had to tell myself that I *don't* have room to get two of his beautiful giant fry.

The last tank I got is a 5 gallon Hawkeye and I bought it on Amazon for like $25. It has a florescent light, hinged hood, and comes with a filter. All I would need is a heater, gravel, a new piece of pvc for a "cave" and some live plants. Oh, and the betta!

idonothaveroomidonothaveroomidonothaveroom!!!!!
Haha I am the same ay with rats and its worse cause its all one cage LOL
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Okay so I bought a new bulb and the lamp still doesn't work! I am kinda P.O'd I bought the same bulb but a different brand.. I might go back and try the one that actually says " eclipse 6 replacement light" even though it was like 10 dollars more.. If not.. anyone have any ideas for lighting.. Can I buy a replacement lamp? how much is that gonna run me... Still chocked about the 33 dollar test kit : P GAH I wish people would be honest with me on craigslist.. if she had told em the lamp didn't work I wouldn't have offered so much. I mean I can run it without the light but it wont be as nice. and plants wont grow as well.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #9 
EvilVOG
Member
 
EvilVOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit, Mi
try the light over and over a few times... mine did that when i ressurected it from the basement after several years, but eventually did work. on, off, remove bulb, put it back in making sure you you got it in real good, on, off.... ect.

The info i gave you is right out of the manual, our two models share a book.

All the stuff on my CL is wayy overpriced. i can get most glass aquariums for $1/ gallon brand new without having to drive very far, and these people want double that for a used one.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #10 
Cinderwolf
Member
 
Cinderwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
try the light over and over a few times... mine did that when i ressurected it from the basement after several years, but eventually did work. on, off, remove bulb, put it back in making sure you you got it in real good, on, off.... ect.

The info i gave you is right out of the manual, our two models share a book.

All the stuff on my CL is wayy overpriced. i can get most glass aquariums for $1/ gallon brand new without having to drive very far, and these people want double that for a used one.
I will try again with the old bulb ( since I returned the new one for some pocket cash I need) if that doesnt work I will get a new bulb again later on ( like after I cycle) to try again if not I will just deal.

I agree. eveyone thinks just cause its a fish tank its worth a ton!. People who want like 100 for a ten gal with a hood. and like 25 for a plastic 3 gal. Ridiculous. I had to get this one down from 50 : P
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marineland Eclipse System 3 Aquarium N03113 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 8 07-05-2011 04:49 PM
Which has brighter light? Marineland System Eclipse 3g or Tetra Crescent 3g jackals Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 8 04-13-2011 09:40 PM
Slow down filter flow in Marineland Eclipse Three Gallon Tank? Kittycosmos Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 04-12-2011 01:52 PM
Light for a 5g Marineland Eclipse tank demonr6 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 01-14-2011 05:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.