Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
bankruptjojo

temps to high

so its getting hotter and i didnt have the same tanks last summer. i noticed that my 20g was at 84F today and started at 79F. kinda of a big swing. my room seems kinda hot, no air conditioning running but it is usually hot upstairs. i have 2 t5 HO lights on it so thats probably why. i will probably put a air condition unit on a window to stop this but i dont want to yet. any one got any suggestions how to keep tanks cooler??? dont want to take top off, have a azoo fan on my 40g but its so annoying dont know if i can handle two.
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 
Myates

What fish do you have in there? A lot of tropical fish can withstand higher temps then what is "recommended", such as bettas- they can live comfortably and just fine in the lower-mid 90s. 84*F is pretty common, especially for breeders, for a lot of tropical species.

As for cooling it down.. for tanks that size I really have no idea at this point- fans just push air around, but doesn't actually cool it.. floating bags of ice will cause the immediate surrounding water to get really cold way too fast, but does nothing for the rest of the water. I suppose for now all you can do is watch.. and if you have species that can not live in that temperature (such as goldfish) you may look into placing them into smaller tanks for the time being, as usually they can be a little bit cooler..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

I keep my tanks at 84 to 88F. I like the higher temps personally.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #4 
bankruptjojo

there bettas iv heard best temp is78-80. i also read that fin rot can occour at higher temps. and iv been fighting fin rot like crazy! that might not be true ill c if i can find where i read that. if 84 isnt bad than guess the best thing to do is raise the temp so there wont be such a swing.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #5 
Myates

It's common to tell people 78-80 because a lot of heaters (pre-set ones especially) are in that range, and it's a good in-between range (or at the top temp range) for many tropical species.
Fungus grows better in warmer temps- but if you keep your water clean it shouldn't cause a problem. Fin rot is caused by damaged fins and bacteria, not temperature.

84 is definitely not bad, it's actually healthier then 78 :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #6 
bankruptjojo

ok ill raise my temps. im debating using mealafix for the rot iv heard it can kill bettas.... yes? or NO? i have tried everything else.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Use Indian Almond Leaf.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

If you are going to try something from the Melafix family, use Bettafix as it is far less concentrated. However, it won't do anything that clean warm water can't do, and I don't think it is worth it due to the risks associated with it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #9 
bankruptjojo

i acually just bought ocean nutrition betta spa with almond leaf extract. im sure not as good as real thing. iv been using it for a week well see if it helps. turns water lil brown but i kinda like it look more natural. any of you guys used this.

i dont think it could be dirty water i was doing one vacuuming and one water change a week bout 30% on both. could there have been something in my water? i use prime, stress guard, vita chem on a regular. i even bought a uv sterilizer just to try, didnt seem to help not that i thought it would for sure, but figured y not try it.

idk but the tank was a sand tank tell recently maybe 3 weeks ago i switch to eco complete and started to plant it heavily as i plan on doing to all my tanks. so maybe that will help to. .