Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #21 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I have never had a problem with it. It's common knowledge with aggressive fish that the more fish the less the aggression. It actually makes sense if you think about it. The more fish you have, the more the aggression is spread out among the fish and no one ever gets picked on to much. I have African cichlids and the same rules apply, more fish less aggression. It doesn't take a genius to keep a sorority in a 65 gallon heavily planted. In fact my 55 gallon sorority takes the LEAST amount of work and care.
Yes, that's true when keeping things like cichlids or sororities, but I was talking generally (as were you - you did say the 'general rule'). For instance, if you have a single male betta in a community tank, the last thing you want to do is overcrowd him in an attempt to get him to share out the aggression, as he'll generally be happier in a less crowded tank. :)
It also doesn't take into account bioload, as I said. For instance, you wouldn't want one goldfish or gourami per gallon, since they have a much larger bioload than a small, slim fish like a tetra. I'm not saying it's never a good rule (I would generally apply it to tetras, for example), but I wouldn't call it a general rule. Freshwater species are simply too numerous for there to be such a thing. :)

I wish people wouldn't treat members like mindless children that can't do what the "experts" do. Where do you think the "experts" got their information? Everyone has to start somewhere. Try being supportive and don't demean people who you don't even know. No one on here knows for sure if this person can handle a sorority or not and speaking otherwise is rude and judgmental. This person asked what number of bettas they could house in a 65 gallon, they did not ask for a forum assessment of their fish keeping skills and directions on what this forum thinks the OP can personally handle. Just my opinion.
Not sure if this part is regarding me or not, (I know I was a relative beginner when I tried my sorority) but I don't think people are being demeaning. Just discussing different ways of doing things. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #22 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
And my opinion is the OP should take all suggestions and make their own choices. I also said "I" and "personally". The OP can do as they wish. Myself, I have observed females long enough to know I could personally handle it, the OP may not. Only the OP knows their level of experience. You're post makes it sound like I said "Ignore everyone else, listen to me and do exactly as I say" which I was not :)
I never implied that the OP should NOT make their own choices, but some encouragement on the "right" choices would be good for the OP and the fish. We have to look at what's best for the fish.

No actually you got it all wrong. I meant the exact opposite of what that is. I already know that the OP can choose for themselves and make their own decisions, and in the end they're going to do what they feel they want, need, or can do.

I already know they are going to do what fits for them overall so the best we can do is try to get enough information stuck in their head for them to go on and do what would be best for the fish and the situation.

For example..if a new member gets on the forum and says "I have 40 females from a three different pet stores with no live plants or hiding places and my tank looks so pretty." What the right thing to do would be to approach them the most positive way because they will feel they are actually being helped even with no intention of being helped in the first place and are more likely to change their situation for the best, but if you tell them "No, how could you possibly think this is okay? You need to separate them." (Just an example of a negative comment) They'll look at that and either reply back with another negative comment or will leave the forum and never come back. Resulting in the fish dying or suffering.

Point being....We should advise the best possible solution to be sure the fish are going to be okay.

And if you feel that my post made it seem like I was saying to forget what everyone else said and listen to you, you really interpreted it opposite of my intentions. I meant no disrespect.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #23 
Edifiler

Sorry, I had it confused, what I read somewhere was about 1w per Litre not a gallon ;x I had it all mixed up But just out of curiosity, is that right? or should I follow the 3-5w per gallon. Mathematically, 3-5w per gallon is about the same as 1w per litre. So for something of 62.5g I'll be looking at a 250w heater ;x

Also, another thing that I've been wondering is that, if I was not able to get my hands on a 250w heater, would having maybe 2 100w and a 1 50w heater work the same? Or will it not go as planned?

As for the number of females, I understand that everyone has a different opinion on it, some are willing to take the risk of having more while others are experienced and know how to deal with the problems. For me, I'm not very good at reading behaviours so I would probably only do a maximum of 30 females. Btw thanks for the response guys.

Another thing that I've been pondering is that, eventually I would be using the 62g for breeding. But its way too big. Would it be possible if I divide the tank and only allow, say around the size of a 10g with about 5 inches of water? And when the fry gets around 1 month old, release the divider and allow more space for them to grow?
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #24 
Edifiler

Also guys, I understand that everyone has their own opinions about how things should go about. And I'm sure that there are more than 1 ways to go about having a sorority. Maybe something that might have worked for you might not for others. So please there's no need to have a heated discussion about this topic, I would hate to see this thread be filled with hatred ;x And I agree with all party taking part in this discussion and am sure that none of us here are targeting or disrespecting one another.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #25 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
Also guys, I understand that everyone has their own opinions about how things should go about. And I'm sure that there are more than 1 ways to go about having a sorority. Maybe something that might have worked for you might not for others. So please there's no need to have a heated discussion about this topic, I would hate to see this thread be filled with hatred ;x And I agree with all party taking part in this discussion and am sure that none of us here are targeting or disrespecting one another.
This forum has a problem with members acting like know it all's and judging others and telling them what to do. This topic is not heated because of you, it's heated because unwanted forum behaviors are being exhibited and people are tired of it and trying to get it to stop.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #26 
Edifiler

Oh, my bad then ;x
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #27 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Oh, my bad then ;x
It's ok People like me and Pitluvs want members like yourself, to feel welcomed and supported in your endeavors, and we dislike other members casting judgment on you and your ability's without just cause.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #28 
Edifiler

Well keep up the good job, I myself and many others will be grateful for the positive and welcoming attitude present in this forum.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #29 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Well keep up the good job, I myself and many others will be grateful for the positive and welcoming attitude present in this forum.
Thank you! We try!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #30 
bettalover2033

I agree with many things said, though a disagreement is always going to be here on the forum.

The best we do is try to get it resolved and in the most positive way to keep the bickering and such away. What pitluvs and myself had was simply a disagreement that we resolved without trying to insult and bite each other's head off.

Certain things that I do, pitluvs would definitely not do, but certain things that they do I would do. It all depends in the person. Also another way is to be sure your not insulting. If it gets too personal, it can just go to a pm and be civilly solved there.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote