Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
OMGemily

Fish poop

I never really thought about this until i saw a thread about weird poop being an indicator of illness, but how long does it generally take for them to digest their food? where do they poop? and what does it look like? weird questions i know lol i just never really thought about it before and i wanna make sure ill know when Antione is constipated or might have some kind of parasite or something
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 
fishman12

Don't know how long after eating they go, but they poop by their ventral(?) [The hangy down ones in the front] fins. It kinda looks like a couple small brown pellets squished together.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 
Myates

It varies on quality of the food, how much is fed and how often that will determine how much waste they produce and when. They tend not to go a whole lot, not like goldfish or other ones you see who seem to always have poop dangling from them. But they should go a couple times a day at least.

The waste tends to be of a brown color- sometimes with a red tint if you use food that has a lot of dye in it (the food that "claims" to "enhance" colors).

If constipated you will notice other symptoms, such as a little more difficulty in swimming. Parasites you will see the waste as long, white and stringy.

Otherwise, a stumpy brownish small worm like (sometimes they are small round ball-like as well).. thing.. right before the large anal fin.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It varies on quality of the food, how much is fed and how often that will determine how much waste they produce and when. They tend not to go a whole lot, not like goldfish or other ones you see who seem to always have poop dangling from them. But they should go a couple times a day at least.

The waste tends to be of a brown color- sometimes with a red tint if you use food that has a lot of dye in it (the food that "claims" to "enhance" colors).

If constipated you will notice other symptoms, such as a little more difficulty in swimming. Parasites you will see the waste as long, white and stringy.

Otherwise, a stumpy brownish small worm like (sometimes they are small round ball-like as well).. thing.. right before the large anal fin.
thanks :) i usually feed him aqueon bettafood 2-3 pellets twice a day. used to be 3-4 twice a day but he was getting kinda fat so i backed off. i just cleaned his tank today and he has a tall mug on its side as a "cave" he likes to sleep in it a lot and when i cleaned it out today it was filthy! guess he stays in there more than i thought haha
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipation, parasite, poop