dramaqueen
Banned

Very nice! Your flowers are pretty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thank you! :)
I was hoping to get some work done this weekend. However it may snow tonight >:( I swear if it snows I will go out and punch the snowflakes out of my yard.
-sigh- but this is life in Canada :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #13 
kfryman

Lol, life in Canada XD
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was supposed to do my photography today, but it's raining.
It DID snow on Friday, but no one was injured, there was a blanket of snow but it melted by late morning. I was running around covering as many plants as I could.
We bought 10 dahlia bulbs, 5 white and 5 pink. I also have a purple bulb I bought last year on sale, which might not grow out since it was out of the ground for a whole year, but I'm hopeful. Problem is, we don't have anymore full sun areas for the dahlias, I'm hoping my dad will build me a middle garden in the yard.

I want to make some improvements this year. I got some sour cherry seeds, which as far as I know, shouldn't grow very well here, but I think they might prevail if I cover them every winter. They've been in the fridge all winter, to simulate a cold period, and SHOULD sprout if I plant them this year, which I will soon :3

I've been researching this whole "cottage garden" thing, classic flowers, overflowing gardens. One of the things that I want is a mock orange. There's different varieties, from short to tall, I'd need a Canada hardy one though. It only blooms 3 weeks, but I think I could find it a place:
http://nibsblog.files.wordpress.com/...ock-orange.jpg

I want to add a fruit tree this year, really bad. What do you guys think? Apples, pears or plums? :3
Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

I'd like to follow your thread. I enjoy flowers a lot and this seems like it will be a neat one. I am always outside in the dirt when the warm weather hits. The problem is the frost yesterday... urgh. I forgot to uncover my plants and they stayed covered all day. My mums are very wilty now and my husband bought them for me as a gift on the fourth of july last year :( The plus side is my Mona Lisa Lillly is coming back okay so far.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A Woodpecker is Released!

Alright, so I feel horrible not updating this, since it seems somewhat popular (well I can't update it that much, gardens are pretty slow ;)). So I'm going to do two entries in a row to make up for it :D

April 7th, 2012:
Today, a little downy woodpecker smashed into our window. I went out to bury the little guy, but I noticed he was still kicking. I brought him into the crate I had set up (always ready for injured wildlife lol) to give him somewhere to "die in peace." Anyways, you can read his story here if you hadn't already.
The next day, his beak was covered in suet, and he was back in tip top shape like nothing ever happened! O-O I chalk it up to the fact that woodpeckers skulls are highly designed to protect against shock (they peck trees), don't think most birds could survive that.
Anyways, here's some pics of him:

In the crate (taken with my ipod, bad quality but no scary flash):

After I let him go, he flew right towards the sun, so it's a bad photo, but here he is back in the "wild" of the suburbs!:

I think I saw him again this morning, but they all look the same. Probably was him or one of his family members though, pretty sure they like to stay close to home. :3
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

General Garden Update

April 14th, 2012:

So not much has happened. We still get near freezing at night, so I can't plant any of my bulbs yet, and the garden season isn't really in full swing. But meh, here's some photos!

Clay Garden:

We moved this blackberry bush into my clay garden (against my own will). We have to set up a trellis for it still, just tied it up temporarily.

Beside the blackberry is our purple clematis, who is doing quite well! :D

Mini Rose:

Tulips, they are dwarfed due to bad soil (clay) I believe, but we don't really have anywhere else for them right now:

Bee Balm! One of my faves! Attracts hummingbirds, loves clay, is an Ontario native, the leaves smell amazing and is the source of one of my favourite teas (Early Grey). I swear this plant is all my favourite things in one! :D Hope it thrives!

Under the deck garden:

I really hope these are baby foxgloves. They are where I planted my foxglove last year :3

Vegetable Garden:

Cow and sheep manure, getting ready!:

Home:

Mom brought this hydrangea today. It'll go in the clay garden after we get bored of it in the house. They love clay :3

Have no idea why the pics are sideways, I rotated them and they just show up like this on the forum :(
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #18 
Laki

Nice, nice and NICE!!!

I envy your gardening skill... Because I lack. The last house I lived in had a wonderful garden. I tried an tried to overturn the soil, dry it and grow things like lettuce (which apparantly likes our climate) and herbs and a strawberry plant. Nothing. The only thing I grew successfully is parsley and basil (which died when I moved).

I love to get out there and TRY!! I'm following this thread to see how awesome your garden gets! I love your dogs, non-cropped ears too :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #19 
Leeniex

I love this thread! I am sticking to containers this year because my husband has a tendency to "accidentally" run over anything I plant in the yard with the mower.

Love the woodpecker. :)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Guys! Update when I get home, I PROMISE. I already have all the photos, just gotta upload them.
You will be shocked at how some of these plants have grown. :D