Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should I get an Oscar or Angelfish for my 55 gallon tank?
Definitely get one or two Oscars 1 7.69%
Definitely get Some nice Angels 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

I'm just going by what the topical community says and what is usually done with Angels. I'm a tropical fish owner as well as a Betta owner lol Most if not all the owners I know personally have paired off Angels only, or tanks large enough for two pairs :) I personally could never keep 6+ angels and let them tear eachother apart during mating.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #12 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I'm just going by what the topical community says and what is usually done with Angels. I'm a tropical fish owner as well as a Betta owner lol Most if not all the owners I know personally have paired off Angels only, or tanks large enough for two pairs :) I personally could never keep 6+ angels and let them tear eachother apart during mating.
A mating pair wouldn't claim the entire tank in a tank big enough for a school of angels. 4ft+ long tank is what is needed for keeping more then a pair. Odds are the other angels would still have around half the tank or more to roam during breeding times. Odds are you will not have 3 pairs out of 6 fish.
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Is 55gallons big enough for 6 grown angels though?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnominal View Post
A mating pair wouldn't claim the entire tank in a tank big enough for a school of angels. 4ft+ long tank is what is needed for keeping more then a pair. Odds are the other angels would still have around half the tank or more to roam during breeding times. Odds are you will not have 3 pairs out of 6 fish.
This is why I do not own Angels, and never will :) Too many this that and the other thing. If I did though, I'd feel more comfortable with a paired of couple, than multiple. Would you believe years ago, when I first got into tanks... they told me a group of 6 would do great in a 29g? Thankfully I rehomed them and kept my Silver Dollars.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #15 
Christople

Silver dollars are even larger than angel fish and way more active.
Christople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #16 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Silver Dollars.
Depending on species these can grow from 5-10 inches and are the shape of plates.
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #17 
Fabian

I like angles more because when they are happy they will spread their fins looking much more bigger.I do not like oscars because they will grow larger than the ones you see.I saw one bigger than my dog before and you cannot house oscars with other fishes.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #18 
fish monger

Looks like you prefer larger fish; however, I have come to appreciate the impact groups of small fish can make. Additionally, a nice sized school can require much less space than one large fish. Just a thought. You mentioned making the tank look full. You get a lot of movement and, depending on the type of fish, a lot of color from small schooling fish.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #19 
bettalover2033

Well my family has bugged me for so long about getting bigger fish. My guess it that they'd like to see bigger fish mostly because they think of fish as decor rather than fish, another being that does much more than swim in a tank.

My 55 gallon tank isn't very high but is also not narrow. The width of the tank from the side view is not like most 55 gallons I have seen. Its wider and almost looks custom made. I'm sure an Oscar will fit in here. I will get rid of the rest of the fish in the tank currently when I do decide to get it. I am getting a bigger tank soon...possibly in a few months because of my need for bigger fish. It's not oly my family's idea of wanting bigger fish. I like the idea of having solitary fish that know wo their source of food is. I'm tired of cattle fish like neons and platties, guppies that do better in groups. Also they end up being very expensive in the end.

So what other fish can bewitch an Oscar? I am hoping someone can tell me the name to those really colorful cichlids. I saw an Oscar with some other really colorful cichlids before and they were perfectly okay.
Posted via Mobile Device
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #20 
PhilipPhish

Oscars.... I don't recommend them. Nor do I like them too much. My oscar is destructive.

Get angel fish!
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote