Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 
lvandert

Why not? My Journal

Well why not? I love to write/type. I'll break this down into two sections; fishies and human life. You can choose one or both, or none :P What ever you care to read about.

Fish life: Patrick has fin rot, I have him in my hospital tank. He's decided he likes the tank though and built his first bubble nest in three months. Big Red has yet to recover from the bad babysitter, I don't know if she will. But she's still swimming ans eating so all good there. Popcorn has come right into our little fish family and looks so vibrant in her tank. Velvet is stuffing her face with unfertilized eggs so I'm currently fasting her on other foods. Walter is booping around his tank, happy as could be. He loves to watch people to do the dishes. and Smitty, well he's Smitty. A color change every other day and bubble nests across the tank... I'm hoping to give Smitty and Popcorn a go in a week or so.

Human life: Well fudge where do I begin. Well, I'm a 21 year old sophomore in college 600 miles away from my parents and living with my boyfriend. I don't get along with my folks to well so moving away was nice. I have a part time job on campus with the snack shack. Needless to say I dont have much time but what little I do have I devote to my animals. I currently am failing 3 out of 4 classes but I wouldn't be if I hadn't been evicted a day before the semester started. I used to live across the street from campus but the school bought the house out from under our landlord and forced us to move for their new dorm building. I spent the first month of school looking for somewhere to live and moving, which really affected my classes. The three I'm failing build on themselves and get harder throughout the semester, the one I'm passing is a speech class (easy as heck). But through all of this a few things stay stable in my life (which I'm really grateful for) my pets (bird, snake, fishes), my job (even if it is crappy minimum wage), and the love of my life Joey. If it wasn't for him I'd be having mental break downs every other week. But hey, that's life right?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
lvandert

Fish life: well some more of Patrick's fins on his tail have disappeared. I think he would be considered a feather tail? His fins feather out at the ends, anyways most of his feathering is gone on the top half of his tail. But I just started treatment so I'll give him a few days before I decide if he's getting better. Big Red looks a little worse for wear today but once again she's still eating and swimming. Walter is just being Walter, desperate for attention. Velvet looks a little skinnier today, looks like the fasting is working. And now the interesting stuff, my breeding pair :) I put Popcorn in the floating breeder in the spawning tank and added IAL to the tank. Smitty went crazy for a moment or two but now he's furiously building a bubble nest. Popcorn has done nothing but the little "s" wiggle in her little breeder. they look like that cute teenage couple. I've also started to notice spots on Smitty's tail, I guess he's more wild than I thought. I really hope they come in strong, and pass onto the young. I love spotted bettas! Their so cute to watch flirt with one another through the breeder. I probably wont release them until Friday or the weekend. Unless she starts releasing eggs early...

Human life: I gave a presentation today about the basics of breeding bettas. I shook like a leaf in front of the class, my voice even wavered a few times. I hate public speaking. I almost met with the Dean of students but she was busy so I have a new appointment tomorrow at 3. I have a chem 2 test at 7pm tonight, here's hoping I pass it. I guess I got lucky and get a few nights off work, which is good because I need to clean the house. I may also be getting sick. I've been super tired recently, my throat hurts bad enough to take pain killers and last night I got the worst migraine headache I've had in a long time. I actually fell asleep with an ice pack on my head.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #3 
Termato

I hope patrick gets better!
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

American university sounds pretty hard - you guys have compulsory subjects like science etc for a few years, right?
I like the Australian/UK system - by the time we get to uni they just want us to concentrate on the area of life we've chosen. :) Thank goodness, because I wouldnt want to still be doing science and maths...I chose a law degree for a reason! :p

I hope Patrick recovers and that things look up for you!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 
lvandert

Well if you go on the universities schedule (and kill yourself) your done with those the first two years and the start specializing. On top of things I go to Tech school, which in they like their math and science. Every degree, regardless of major, is required to pass calculus 1 here :P my degree requires calculus 1, 2, 3 and differential equations (super sucky). And I guess because I do want to kill myself I want a math minor. In honesty I only need to take 4 extra classes to qualify but I'd like to get my real degree under way first.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #6 
lvandert

Whoops forgot yesterday's...

Fishies: Popcorn and Smitty couldn't wait one extra day to spawn. She was releasing eggs into the floating breeder so I let them at it. They were pretty much done within an hour. I did an egg count and holy crow! I have roughly 450 eggs (give or take ten). I am doing an artificial hatch so Smitty is in a separate tank and I have the eggs cupped for control and sight. Patrick's tail doesn't seem to be getting worse so I'm guess I've stopped the fin rot. I caught it really early so barely any of his tail is missing. Big Red is getting worse now. Her color is fading and she's started to loose a few scales. I'm still trying to treat her but alas I think there is nothing. Velvet is doing good, her tail is completely healed along with any other rips in her fins. And Walter is Walter.

Human life: Well I met with the dean of students and I was told I could drop the class I'm most likely to not move on from and have no ill effects. I wont loose financial aid, I wont go on academic probation and I wont have to start paying any loans even though I'm going to drop below the full time mark.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7 
lvandert

And because I missed yesterday I now have to make up with two today.

Fishies: I'm past the 24 hour mark on the eggs and I seem to be checking them every half hour to see if any have started hatching. Big Red is starting to look really bad. She's developed fin rot on top of everything else. I've been treating her the best I can but nothing is working. I ordered clove oil off of the internet but it probably wont get here until late next week, and by then she could be gone. Popcorn stares at the spawning tank (she's next to it) like she's expecting something, also her fins have all healed up. Smitty spends his days laying on the bottom of his tank with stress bars but once again he's depressed. He would've went into the tank Popcorn is in but I didn't want to make him more depressed by not being able to see the babies. Velvet has made a full recovery and is busy being a food hog.

Human things: I bashed my knee so bad I actually popped the knee cap out of the socket. I got it back in right away but now my knee hurts. I ALMOST bought a crown tail today. I really wanted to get him. He was all white with see through fins. Even in his state I could see little streaks of color. I really want to go back and get him but I know my BF wont be to happy about that. Maybe I can get away with it because he made me bash my knee today...guilt trip him into it. That is if he's not gone...I failed my Physics test, horribly and I had to drop my calc 2 class so I could focus on other classes. Ah crap, I just checked my fishies and my little gold fish died. You know what I just realized? Today kinda sucks

Last edited by lvandert; 03-28-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 
Tobythefish

If you really need the clove oil, you can get it at boyds. We got it there for $5.25. It's an 1/8 fl. oz., but you only need a few drops if you use vodka too. Here is the method we will use if we have to euthanize a fish.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...ize-a-fish.htm
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 
lvandert

oh I got a 4oz bottle on its way. The bf let me use the rest of his amazon gift card. In the end I only paid 3 dollars and some odd cents
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 
lvandert

So here's today's post.

Fish: Still no fry. I think Smitty is infertile Oh well he shall live a happy life. Maybe I'll give him another try in a few months. After talking with my BF he let me get a 10 gallon, which I've split 3 way to house some boys. At the moment I have Smitty and Walter in there. I'm hoping to get a light/hood for it soon. I think I saw some at wally world. Popcorn and Velvet have made full recoveries. Patrick's fins have started to stitch themselves back together, and once he starts to look pretty good I'm going to put him in the last spot in the 10 gal. Big Red looks pretty bad today but she's still managing to look chipper. I bought frozen mosquito larva and have been feeding those to my fishies today as a good treat and vitamin load. I think I may do that once a week. So also to cheer me up my bf said I could get another male or two. Naturally I ended up with two. I got a CT that is basically colorless, aside from a few grey patches. But I'm thinking he's a marble or grizzle because he does have some dark scales on his side. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I got home that he had a fungal infection starting on the tips of his fins But I am treating it with IAL, aquarium salt and stress coat. I just wish he wasn't so skittish. My other guy is either a PK or HMPK (depending on the spread) dragon scale. I got him 50% off because he to has a fungal infection and like I told the manager "I have no problem buying the fish, I just have a problem buying the fish for 10 dollars if its going to die" lol It's not even that bad of an infection. It has a bit of his dorsal fin, the ends of his tail and the whole bottom of his anal fin. But none of it is on his body, yet. He's really energetic and friendly for a sick fella. I have yet to officially name either of them but I'm open to suggestions. Oh their also really young guys, both are under two inches at the moment. Here's the link to their form http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97368

Human: Well my knee is starting to feel better. After a night of the heating pad and ice pack I would at least hope so. But I've developed a contusion of sorts on my arm. I don't even remember hitting my arm hard enough to leave a lump. I gots to work tonight but thats ok, go to makes the money. I'm very close to having enough money for my next tattoo. I'll have enough after my next pay check in two weeks for sure. I'm getting super excited about that. Also came up with a really creative way to keep my dividers straight and flush against the tank. After cutting the mesh canvas to fit within and 1/8th of an inch I cut a slit in straws and thread them on the edges. I works so well! Spike has taken a liking to my new dragon scale boy and is currently snoozing next to his tank.