Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1 
Bubblymle1

Betta Tank -- HELP!

Hello,

I was considering buying the Biorb, but after reading several reviews, decided it wouldn't be worth it. Apparently, it's poor quality for the amount of money it costs.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on a tank that offers the following features:

1) Reasonably priced $75 or less -- but good quality
2) Attractive to look at -- not your typical ugly box aquarium
3) Around 5 gallons
4) Has a lid
5) Is easy to clean

Basically, I'm trying to find the best tank for the money -- that is also pleasing to look at, and appropriate for my betta. Does such a tank exist?

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!
Bubblymle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 
Bubblymle1

Would this be an appropriate tank?

http://www.amazon.com/TOM-Aquarium-D...783586&sr=1-12

It's only 3 gallons....
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 
djembekah

my betta is happy in his 3.3 gallon kritter keeper! as long as you keep up on those water changes, which i'm sure you know ^-^
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #4 
Bubblymle1

Its in a 2.5 gallon bowl now, and I like the look of it but my sphynx likes to splash in the water, and I'm sure it scares the poor betta (plus gets water all over).

Thanks for the idea of the Kritter Keeper, but it's going in my living room and I would like something a little more formal -- if that makes sense?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
Laki

Whatever you choose, make sure there is room at the top for breathing. The Fluval chi things don't allow for surface breathing and there's a betta in the LPS currently slowly dying in one.
I like Kritter Keepers. The covers can be whatever color you want to match your theme (mine is black, gravel is black and it really brings out his reds, which contrasts the green plants) I love it.
I also have something tall with a pink cover, like an early model of mini bow. Except its taller and it's bow-front. Look up the mini-bows, they usually come with filters so baffle it or don't use it. Filters aren't really necessary in tanks under 5g.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #6 
djembekah

oh yeah, i totally understand ^-^ if you live near a walmart, i think they have some decently priced tanks, from the tiny vases, clear up to huge 55 gallons.
here's a five gallon people seem to like
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
you'd still have to buy a heater, but it has a filter that is good enough apparently

they also have really good price on empty ten gallons
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I love the look of the Fluval Edge. I will own that tank one day. I used to be in love with the BiOrb, but I've moved my "I must have this tank" obsession over the Fluval. However, it's not within the price range you asked for.

If you want something very formal, why not get yourself a 5 gallon vase? They do exist and look extremely attractive (although, you do have the issue of the heater wire dangling out of the back). Just make sure it is wide and shallow rather than tall and deep.

You may also find some attractive tanks on your local classifieds (craigslist or whatever you guys have). :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #8 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
oh yeah, i totally understand ^-^ if you live near a walmart, i think they have some decently priced tanks, from the tiny vases, clear up to huge 55 gallons.
here's a five gallon people seem to like
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
you'd still have to buy a heater, but it has a filter that is good enough apparently

they also have really good price on empty ten gallons
I just want to second the Hawkeye 5, I have it and love it! It is a nice size and shape. I actually don't know anything about the filter they sell with it now, as it is different from the one mine came with. I use a sponge filter now anyway.

Still this is a good tank for the money. You do need to buy a heater, but that is about all.

This one is not a 'box' as the front is hexagon shaped. The back side is flat, nice for putting up a background. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblymle1 View Post
Hello,

I was considering buying the Biorb, but after reading several reviews, decided it wouldn't be worth it. Apparently, it's poor quality for the amount of money it costs.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on a tank that offers the following features:

1) Reasonably priced $75 or less -- but good quality
2) Attractive to look at -- not your typical ugly box aquarium
3) Around 5 gallons
4) Has a lid
5) Is easy to clean

Basically, I'm trying to find the best tank for the money -- that is also pleasing to look at, and appropriate for my betta. Does such a tank exist?

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!
the biorb is pretty decent. i have a baby biorb. the fish do enjoy it. what i dont enjoy is cleaning it because the undergravel filter is useless.

i just tested the water of all my tanks and the biorb is the only one that was high in nitrites. i change the water ever week so i was surprised.

anyways, a lot of people like the fluval chi
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Chi-Aqu...2813254&sr=1-1
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, biorb, bowl, habitat, tank